Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HDD Problem?

• Please log in to reply

ChrisWright

ChrisWright

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey,

Thanks in advance for any help offered...

Basically, recently my main PC (a now ageing rig of AMD64 3500+, 1024mb RAM, 250gb Maxtor HDD, ATi x800xt 256mb) has started having a very unusual problem.

Simply, ocassionally there is a 'Clicking' sound from the computer, similar to that described by people with HDD's they were informed were 'dieing'. The computer freezes up completely, including sound output, for a number of seconds, before returning. This often repeats every 10-30 seconds. Also, I have been able to determine that coinciding with these temporary freezes, the CPU usuage is recorded as spiking to 95-100%.

However, the unusual complication in my scenario is that this problem occurs ONLY when a game attempts to access the internet, with about 50% chance of this happening on Warcraft III, 100% chance on C&C Generals, 100% on Navyfield, 50% on Battlefield 2142. Sometimes, I can play entire gaming sessions without 1 instance, and others as soon as I click 'Multiplayer' there is the 'click' from the PC, and the sound of the HDD spinning back up.

Does anyone have any clue whatsoever as to what to suggest?

Note: I have already started backing up important stuff onto a secondary HDD as precaution.

Thanks,

Chris

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
I would download and run the maxtor HD diagnostis and test the drive. I would also make sure the fans and heat sinks are clear ane there is good air flow.
Are you sure its the HD?
Open the case and see ? if you can hear the sound.

ChrisWright

ChrisWright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have already downloaded the Maxtor utility, and it has shed no extra light on the matter...

I have the case side off, which is how I located where the 'clicking' sound is coming from.

Just as an extra detail, whenever there is the clicking sound, it is more often than not the sound of the HDD spinning back up again

The air flow is questionable, but the occurance of this problem never coincides with how long the computer has been booted or anything similar, and to attempt to combat this problem, I have tried running the computer with the case side off.

Any more ideas?