Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

100% CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply

dfwtrader

dfwtrader

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok....I am new to the board, but have gone through the process of getting a couple of spyware issues resolved. I have also searched the forums and found no one with the same problem so I figured someone here might be able to shed some light on a situation.

Background: Windows XP SP2 User
2 Users
Office 2003 suite

Logged in as user 1, called default under documents and settings and I try to open a word document and receive:
"Word cannot open the following document template"
"C:\....pdfmaker.dot" after closing "C:\...A20msw00.dot" after closing "C:\...blpsend.dot" after closing " finally "Document is locked for editing by another user". I try opening explorer, outlook express, a few others and they all time out.

I was thinking back to what might have happened and when. The only two things I can think of is I tried to open a PDF document with Acrobat Standard within explorer and my PC froze. I might have picked up the yourde.exe virus that effects full version acrobat plugins but have not found it.

OR....my 21 month old son was messing with the mouse and keyboard and when i found him there were multiple windows open including windows explorer, my network places and control panel. i thought he might have deleted my profile from documents and settings folder.

My PC runs fine when I have it logged into User 2, safe mode, or administrator but when I log into User 1 OSA9.exe uses 100% of cpu usage. When i terminate it and try to open almost anything that newly opened program then uses 100%. Under user 1 i cannot open any of my malware/spyware or sysinternals stuff you guys reccommend because it freezes.

It seems like its in a wierd loop under that user id and is trying to reach out to a nonexistent user. Or there is some crazy virus kicking its a**. I have run the programs you guys suggest under user 2 but have found nothing. I have also tried to do a system restore to the day before all h*** broke loose. Finally I tried doing a fix through add remove programs of office 2003 to no avail.

I know this is lengthy, but I hope it provides most info. I can give you the HJT logs for User 2 when the pc runs ok, but i wanted to get a response to determine if that would be helpful.

ANY input would be greatly appreciated.
Justin

Advertisements

dfwtrader

dfwtrader

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
anyone have any thoughts on this.....if not any suggestions on where to find some assistance??