When my wife and I first moved into our town house we noticed the top bedroom did not have a cable install. I was disappointed and told Charter my cable provider to please install a cable outlet...not so much for cable but for internet. After a few months I noticed the cable upstairs going in and out, in and out. I called tech support more than once before figuring out that the wiring was just bad. The tech recommend instead of installing new wiring to simply just get a wireless modem and put it down stairs and run wireless through the house.
Here is the strange part. Please don't get confused. My upstairs is not on the same line as my down stairs line. My down stairs line is completely different. I found this out when they turned my cable off by accident and I was forced to get them to come out not ONCE but twice to repair my cable.
Now after months of it working fine new neighbors moved in next door. I have called Charter yet again because once again the speed is slowing down. I've ran speed test all week and I am getting 85/kb during normal times and paying for a 3 meg connection. I've had "techs" and I use that phase lightly because half of them have NOT touched a thing and just shook their heads...yup it's your hardware. Even though when I called the 1-800 tech support line they tell me their is nothing wrong with my line or modem.
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! I am out of options I can supply you with any information you need. I just want to stop paying for a 3 meg connection and yet only get 85/kb during normal hours.
* The modem is connected to a wireless router which is connected to my Xbox 360. However when I ran these test all week it was a strait connection from PC to modem with nothing else connected.
* The computer has been completely cleaned of spyware. There is no traces.
* I have tested in both safemode and normal boot with no change in speed. Most of the time the speed goes down in safe (go figure).
* This all started when my neighbors moved in but the fact that the upstairs line does not work at all and provides to much static kind of makes me wonder.
* I understand that cable is a shared connection and that during peek hours I will only get so much bandwidth because other people are using it but there is hardly any other wireless signals around me.
* Would DSL provide me more reliable service at constantly speeds in apartment like areas since it is a dedicated line?
* Are their any other test I can run to test my line, modem, connection that I could supply to charter as a incentive to get the problem fixed faster?
* Will a new modem help?
All help is appreciated. Honestly if this doesn't work out I am most likely switching my internet to DSL so I don't have to worry about cable constant inconsistent speed.