Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with same mac and internet sharing!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

harpocrates

harpocrates

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi All,

I have an internet connection through university halls. If any of you are aware, in order to get online you have to register your mac address with the network administration and only that mac can get online. If you change network card you go through the process of reregistering mac.
My issue is different. I have a laptop connected to the line with a registered mac address. Recenlty I decided to share the connection to my girlfriends desktop pc and already have a 5-port switch, so i have connected the switch to the lan port in the room and then the 2 pc's to the switch. In order for both pc's to connect to the internet I have altered the mac address that appears outside from the properties of the desktop card and the tab with the network address (funny how even advanced users i asked sayed you cant change the mac address that is seen from the pc). So basically now the desktop pc has the same mac as the laptop.
Both pc's connect fine to the internet and browse without a problem, but i seem to be having problems when both are connected to msn service and we get sign in's and out's very often. This wont happen when one of the 2 is connected to msn. Ive tried using trilian or windows messenger on one but it seems that the problem is elsewhere. Also I tend to get problems with downloads of files where very often they stop and i have to retry the download up to 4-5 times before it succesfully finishes.
Finally ive been wondering if its possible to setup file sharing through this method. I think it isnt since both pc's have one mac address and share the same ip so basically they seem to be one pc connected to the network and cant see each other. I can see other pc's in the halls (the ones that have the same workgroup) but not the 2 between them.
Please dont recommend internet connection sharing since i want the two to work independently and also no routers. I dont intend on buying one now. I am not very advanced in networking so correct anything stupid i might have said. Thanx all for your help.

Advertisements

harpocrates

harpocrates

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, seeing how noone could help me configure my mac address spoofing issues :tazz: , I chose the route i didnt prefer. I bought a wireless adaptor for the desktop, connecte via ad hoc (peer to peer wireless) and enabled internet connection sharing through the wired connection, since the laptop has both wired and wireless adaptors. Only problem now is that the laptop has to be open when the desktop needs internet. I guess the problem was that both pc's appeared as one and when using the same ports (i.e msn chatting) they would lose connection. If anyone does know a solution to my first post, please reply. Thanx anyway!

lil_sti

lil_sti

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You should be able to clone the MAC address of your machine to the router and the other computer should be fine. If not I would just register the router's MAC address and set the ip and set the ip to the specified one and then the two computers should work fine.

harpocrates

harpocrates

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again, Dont have a router. Just a switch. If I had a router I would have registered it and job would have been easy. So with a switch I cant register any other mac address and I have to spoof the registered one. Unfortunetly that causes the problems mentioned. Any ideas just for the extra knowledge would be helpful.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

Please dont recommend internet connection sharing since i want the two to work independently and also no routers. I dont intend on buying one now.

What do you want us to say then?

so correct anything stupid i might have said.

Get a router and problems will be taken care of. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

harpocrates

harpocrates

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was hoping for an answer to the problem without the easy way out. I thought thats what this forum was about! :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Yes it is, but there's just some things that cannot happen, because it's not possible. We can't work magic, if the hardware cannot do it as is then it just cannot do it. You'd have to take that up with the manufacturers.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

harpocrates

harpocrates

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Interesting that you are a moderator and your replies arent much help. The hardware isnt supposed to do anything. Its a switch. Im not asking you to do magic. Inform me (if you have the knowledge to do so...or else dont answer) of what software solutions there might be or what settings might help the issue. Have you read the question in the first post? Did you understand it? If not ask what info you need to comprehend it and then reply. Telling the manufacturer that their hardware doesnt do magic wont help either. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Say goodnite to this topic.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: