Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Warning on wi-fi health risk to children

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Children should not place computers on their laps while they are using wireless internet connections because of potential health risks, according to a leading Government adviser.

Prof Challis said: "With a desktop computer, the transmitter will be in the tower.

"This might be perhaps 20cms from your leg and the exposure would then be around one per cent of that from a mobile phone.

"However if you put a laptop straight on your lap and are using wi-fi, you could be around 2cms from the transmitter, and receiving comparable exposure to that from a mobile phone.

"Children are much more sensitive than adults to a number of other dangers, such as pollutants like lead and UV radiation, so if there should be a problem with mobiles, then it may be a bigger problem for children.

"Since we advise that children should be discouraged from using mobile phones, we should also discourage children from placing their laptop on their lap when they are using wi-fi.

"In view of public concern, I should like to see some measurements of intensities arising from wi-fi made in schools."

http://www.telegraph...28/nesmog28.xml

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Interesting - this one caught my eye - I will look at it tomorrow, as it is late, and I am tired :whistling:

Brian

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
omg ... That sounds exactly like all the other people who say that "everything" causes cancer. People need to stop researching things so people wont live in so much fear of everything. I knew someone who thinks wireless internet is going to give everyone brain cancer. It's stupid. You look at every study out there something is bound to be bad for you. You can't always look at the bad side of things rather just think of the good and keep on living. =P

Edited by Mr.Chow, 04 May 2007 - 11:31 PM.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Wi-fi health fears are 'unproven'

http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/6676129.stm