Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown malware killed my networking [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I decided to take a chance and reinstall the drivers. I used the drivers (Intel PROSet/Wireless) that came with the laptop on a CD. No luck. The first time I installed it, the installation went smoothly, but my networking still didn't work. I tried to uninstall, but it froze up midway, and I had to kill the application. I rebooted, hit install, and it then proceeded to finish the previous uninstallation. An error popped up as followed:

mMHouse
Error 1905.Module C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\D8021Xps.DLL failed to unregister. HRESULT . Contact your support personnel.

Once this completed, I hit install again, and it once again got stuck at 802.1x Supplicant. Sigh...

Looking at Device Manager, the following items are flagged as corrupted/missing:

Infrared devices
-SMS IrCC - FastInfrared Port

Network adapters
-1394 Net Adapter #3
-Bluetooth Personal Area Network from TOSHIBA - Packet Scheduler Miniport
-Direct Parallel
-Infrared Port
-Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
-Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection - Intel Wireless Connection Agent Miniport
-Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
-Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Eternet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
-Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45
-WAN Miniport (IP)
-WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
-WAN Miniport (L2TP)
-WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
-WAN Miniport (PPTP)

Non-Plug and Play Drivers
-AFD
-IP Network Address Translator
-IPSEC driver
-IrDA Protocol
-NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol
-NetBios over Tcpip
-Serial
-SYMTDI
-TCP/IP Protocol Driver
-WLAN Transport

I poked around TCP/IP Protocol Driver and the properties show that the status is Stopped. When I hit Start, it says it failed because "The dependency service or group failed to start." The driver file is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Tcpip.sys

I'm about ready to give up and reformat. :blink:

EDIT: Attempts at using the Troubleshooter and remove/add new hardware have been fruitless. My problem seems quite similar to the one in this thread, which concluded with a reformat. :whistling:

Edited by Nates, 03 May 2007 - 07:33 PM.

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Hi nates,

Before the reformat try this repair http://www.geekstogo...s...ic=138&st=0 You wont lose any of your personal data that way, let me know how this goes

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks! I'm away from home so I don't have access to my XP CD right now, but I'll give it a shot soon.

BTW, does it appear that my computer is virus free? Also, before I came here I backed up my files to an external HD. Are there any guides to make sure those files are free of any viruses? Thanks again for all the help!

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Normally you can just hook the drive up to the computer and scan it with your AV. If there is an infected file on the External hard dive, you would actually have to run it (99% of the time) I dont see any signs of malware on the PC, but I need an online scan of some sort to confirm completely WHich we cant do.

I think the repair should work but let me know how it goes

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Sigh... there was no option for repair. I've given up and just started a new install, but so far things are not going well (freezing up). I'll let you know how it goes. :whistling:

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I managed to reinstall XP, but now I'm dealing with a whole whack of other problems trying to get things back to "normal." Since these are no longer malware issues, I guess that means you can go ahead and close this thread. Thanks again for all your help.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
What issues? Still a no go on the networking? If you have reinstalled and are still having freeze ups and such, it could be a hardware issue.

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
The networking is now fine, but a number of other issues are popping up. I managed to resolve some of them, but there are still some critical issues. Outlook (my lifeline for work) is sending/receiving significantly slower than before, and Windows Update worked for a while, but now it keeps getting stuck. I'm forced to do a hard reboot, and once it's back up, svchost.exe takes up 100% of my computer resources making it impossible to do anything.

The only workaround is to get into Task Manager immediately, kill the svchost.exe process, and then delete some files in the Software Distribution directory (I have to kill another process before I'm allowed to delete, but I can't remember the name right now). Once I've done that, restarting Windows doesn't produce the 100% svchost.exe. However, if I try to do a Windows Update and it gets stuck again, that svchost problem comes back. I should note that since this started, I was able to successfully complete one more Express update (very minor update), but it got stuck when I tried to do Custom.

As for the Outlook problem, I'm partially blaming it on AVG (I used Symantec before and didn't have this problem). I supposedly disabled the email scanner, but my emails still came in with the AVG certification. After I completely uninstalled AVG, Outlook would send/receive and download a bit faster (KB/sec instead of B/sec), but still not as fast as before. I need my "old" Outlook back. :whistling:

For the whole story, please check out my other thread.

Chances are, I'm just going to do a complete reformat tonight and pray that I don't have these problems anymore. But regardless, thank you so much for the help loophole. I'm still in shock that this is all happening... I guess I should consider myself lucky that up until now, I've never had a computer problem this severe.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Seems like you have made some progress. Outlook is my lifeine to. I hated the way AVG and outlook interacted when I used to use AVG (honestly I hate AVG). Strange thing was I used Symantec for 3 years and never had a problem with it and never had a problem with the interaction between it and Outlook. I traced all sorts of quirky issues to AVG, once I uninstalled it they all went away

Nates

Nates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm happy to report that nearly everything is back to normal. I had Windows Update set to automatic, and removing this seemed to solve a lot of problems. I then reinstalled AVG, but this time I did a custom install and unchecked the email scanner and the MS Office plugin. Outlook appears to be working fine now!

Thanks again!

Now onto the next crisis... my other computer (desktop) won't always power on. :whistling:

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
I probably cant help with that. I would start a new thread in hardware about this as it sounds like a hardware problem (but I could be wrong)

Glad you got the other computer back to normal. :whistling:

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.