Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP on a SATA without floppy

• Please log in to reply

Dzyu

Dzyu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've just bought a new computer and built it up, but when I attempt to install XP on the SATA drive it seems I need a floppy disk with some drivers to be able to install the SATA HD. No HD with drivers was supplied with the motherboard or anything, and we didn't even buy a floppy drive.
so. Anybody know a way around this problem? Is it possible to install XP on a SATA without a floppy drive?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Poke about in the BIOS, there should be an option to change the SATA type. Usually you set this to IDE mode. Failing that there should be another option for the type of SATA you're using - usually in the form of Legacy, Combinated and SATA. One of these will stop the need for use of a floppy.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Of course, the legacy IDE mode causes further problems if you want to use it for hotswapping etc. But scince this is most likely not required for you, it's the best (and only) solution.