Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uber Slow External HD transfer speed

• Please log in to reply

RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I've got a couple of external HDs and once upon a time they worked fine but now they transfer data really slowly. The status bar might start out at 2 minutes and work it's way up to 198 minutes and then back down to two minutes etc. It can take ten minutes and more to transfer a 1 gig file. Sometimes I get "file could not be transfered: the path is too deep."

I watch movies off of the drives but they'll often stutter badly that I often have to transfer them to my internal drive. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my usb drivers to no avail.

Relevant Specs: usb 2.0, XP SP2, crappy presario with a msi ms-6577 mobo, "cavalry" brand HDs using Western Digital WD2000 sata drives.

If anybody could help me fix this they would totally rock!

Thanks!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Are you sure the ports you're using are USB2.0, if not that will certainly slow things down? And have you been consistenly using th Remove Hardware function? If the ports are faulty you can get a USB2.0 add on card, they're pretty cheap and I've had very good results with them.