Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

noob question

• Please log in to reply

unearth203

unearth203

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
is it better to leave your computer on all the time or to turn it off at night

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
It's really a personal choice... It's considered better to leave it on all the time, because the mechanical spinning up of the drives, fans (etc) cause strain on the motors and bearrings... But then, having them on all the time is a strain as well, allbeit a bit less dramatic..

It truly comes down to wether you're ready to power the PC 24/7. Personally I usually do, seeing how it isn't insanely expensive, but then I run an FTP server off of it lol.

Really comes down to choice. It's rare you'll see a PC die any sooner because of this kind of question.

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
cool thanx

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
You're quite welcome :whistling:

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I take it you have never seen a power supply turn into a plasma cutter. If I hadn't been home to unplug my system my house may have burned to the ground. As it was the flames from the power supply scorched my printer and wall, burn a small pile of printer paper and spewed smoke throughout the room. I am now in the habit of turning off my system when I leave the house or retiring for the evening.