Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Tech ESD Wrist Strap? Do They Work/Where To Buy?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I've walked into a lot of pc shops and noticed that most techs use some sort of wrist strap while they service the inside of pcs.

What are these called?

Do they work 100% against ESD?

What are the pros and cons of them?

Do you need one for each hand?

Where can I buy one for cheap using paypal?

& do they sell gloves that do the same kind of thing?

Edited by superstar, 29 April 2007 - 12:12 AM.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi suuperstar. Just do a google search and you find all kinds
of wrist ground straps. :whistling:

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
They are grounding straps. They are used to take any static you have away from you and the electronic device and send it to ground. Thereby eliminating zapping/ electrically damaging a component.

Do They work? I use them all the time when I work on anything electronic. The chance of blowing a component is far greater and I would rather be safe.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Go to any local Circut city or best buy, thats where I bought mine :whistling:
I highly recommend them, for 6$ it's alot of added protection against static electricity.
Only one is needed.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 April 2007 - 09:35 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you wanna get super spiffy...you can actually make your own...all you need is an aligator clip...some wire and a wrist band....you make sure that the wire on the end with the wrist band can touch your skin...and the other is attached to the alligator clip

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
although it's not really worth the hassle for 5-8$, or to me anyways.
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 April 2007 - 03:19 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where's your sense of adventure? where's youre DIY spirit? hehe why don't people like making things for themselves anymore? i've NEVER bought an ESD strap...why pay 6 to 8 bucks for 30 cents worth of equipment?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I still build my PCs wearing socks while standing on carpet. Haven't lost one in over 7 years.

Zantor Zenodex

Zantor Zenodex

• Pip
  • 4 posts
They certainly are worth using. I am not sure where to buy--Newegg would be a good candidate--but be sure to get reliable equipment.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

if you wanna get super spiffy...you can actually make your own...all you need is an aligator clip...some wire and a wrist band....you make sure that the wire on the end with the wrist band can touch your skin...and the other is attached to the alligator clip

That's a [bleep] good idea, oh and by the way I love DIY projects too. Keep on being original Dsenette.

Go to any local Circut city or best buy, thats where I bought mine thumbsup.gif
I highly recommend them, for 6$ it's alot of added protection against static electricity.
Only one is needed.
James

Thanks James, although I love DIY projects I'll just spend the $6 and buy one from Circut City. Thanks for the info. If you wouldn't have said I only needed one I would have bought one for each wrist. What a fool I would have made myself out to be! lol.

I still build my PCs wearing socks while standing on carpet. Haven't lost one in over 7 years.

That's risky Whiskeyman... That's the main reason why I need one. My entire home is carpeted and I clean out my pc every month using a can of compressed air. I touch things inside on occasion or install components too. Yikes!

Edited by superstar, 01 May 2007 - 08:45 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Trust me, once you fry something you'll wonder why you didn't spend the money. We are dealing with a 8$ strap for added protection against 1000$'s in hardware. For the added insurence, why wouldn't you buy a strap.
Also if you live in a humid climate you should be fine, but once the air gets dry.....watch out. I keep that humidifier goin :whistling:
James