Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with HTML and info on free sites.

• Please log in to reply

LukeS

LukeS

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am building a website using yahoo! geocities free site service and wonder If you could help with HTML code.
My site is in progress but the homepage is fund at http://www.geocities...wellbeing/index . My aim is to build a comprehensive resource based around applied psychology, sociology, humanistic principles and a holistic (multi-dimensional) view of health.
What I would like to know is codes for inserting animations, like rippling water or something like that, and code for audio of a stream or the sea or some relaxing "new age" music, to give the homepage a relaxing feel and to appeal to as many senses as possible.
I am very new to computer programming having dropped out of HTML classes after only the first lesson. I know that there are resources online but if you could help that would be great.
Geocities id the only free site service I know of, but unfortunately if I google the site's name it won't show in results. Why is this? Can it be changed, (as I would like my site to be findable, if it ever turns out that I produce a worthy work that is?) Is there another free service I could use as an alternative, before I get in too deep?
Any other advice of or ad hoc comments are wlelcome.

Advertisements

LukeS

LukeS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

THANK YOU!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
People will help you with coding, but you are going to have to put some effort into learning either HTML code and the syntax useage or use a WYSIWYG Editor like NVU to build your pages. As for not being able to find your page via Google. You've just started and have a long way to go before your pages are ready for search engines.

Right now, your best bet is to use a template close to the theme you want and learn to modify it to tweak it to your taste. If you want animations, you need a program that will make them for you and the knowledge to put one together. There are free animations on the Internet which may suit your page, but you need to get something up and running before adding the extras.

Free hosting is fine for starting out to whip your pages into shape, but should you plan on keeping your business going, I would switch to a paid hosting service early enough not to affect your search ranking. Free sites are not ad free as you know and your code will never validate even if you write your own pages perfectly and upload it to the server. I take it you are familiarizing yourself with Geocities File manager and editing tools? Don't remember if they allow use of a client side FTP application or not to upload batch files.

Once you get something to work with other than what shows in your link, code help will be available for you here. It's just that we can't do all the work for you.

Ron