Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME freezing up and Display problems

• Please log in to reply

ajsnavely

ajsnavely

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop has been giving me troubles lately. It is a Gateway 1200, and has Windows ME. The major problem is that the hard drive freezes up. I will have it on for about 20 min. and it will start clicking and freeze up. It sounds like it is trying to save to the hard drive, but he it can't. I say that, because once or twice I got a blue screen saying "unable to save to drive C."

This problem appears to have led to me having display problems too now. It loads in 16 colors, and 640X 480 pixels. When I try to resent them to what I want, it restarts my the computer, and they are back to the lower settings. Also, my touch pad and cursor do not work unless I turn off all of the start up programs on "msconfig."

I am beginning to think I am gonna have to take this in to a professional, but would rather avoid doing that if it is something I can fix myself So ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Clicking + "unable to save to c: drive" + freezeup = hard drive is dying

Without the "unable..." I might have said Cd-rom, or the infamous zip drive, but that is pretty clear.

The display issue may be related to no longer readable sectors on the drive.

Solution, replace drive.