Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New laptop doesn't satisfy need

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
So I'm planning to purchase a new laptop. Don't want a 15.4 screen cause a laptop's primary objective is to be portable & for that I think the ideal screen size is a 14.1 & for that screen size I love the HP Pavillion dv2000t, a 15.4 screen makes the laptop just a little too big.
Here are the specs I'm planning to get:

- Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
- Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
- 14.1" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
- 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7200
- HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
- 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 60GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
- Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
- 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- System Recovery DVD w/Windows Vista Home Premium

First question, why can't I just get the Windows Vista Business System Recovery DVD instead of paying HP an extra $70 to install it on the system for me from their factory, they charge the same price for both the DVDs and allow you to select either of them?
Second question, I want to remove the 60GB 5400RPM hard drive and instead replace it with a separately puchased 60GB 7200RPM hard drive & sell the 5400RPM hard drive on ebay to get that little bit of income, bad idea?
Third questionm, I want to replace the 128MB graphics card with a separately purchased 256MB or 512MB graphics card, will this be ok? Vista itself recommends a 256MB graphics card so forget getting it for games even, lets say just say the upgrade is to get the optimum performance out of Vista. There are a lot of complications with graphics cards I think. The length of the graphics card and stuff have to be appropriate. If it is a possibility, where can I buy a graphics card for the laptop? Newegg.com doesn't seem to have any graphics card saying its made for a "laptop" so ya. As far as the screen is concernced, I have no problem playing games on a 14.1 as opposed to a 15.4 or 17. Have seen the Dell XPS 12.1" but that is way too costly right now & kind of don't like Dell.
First question is just ouf of curiousity. The other two, will they most probably kill my laptop cause I'm really goin into a little too much of an upgrade or should it be fine and my laptop will work a lot better and it would be safe to go ahead with all of this? HP doesn't offer the upgrades themselves online that's why I need/want to upgrade myself. Any kind of suggestioins are welcome.

Edited by manu08, 29 April 2007 - 01:55 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It costs them a little more because they just use the same CD and just use a new serial code every time. If you want the disc, then Microsoft will want more money because it's not bought in such large masses from manufacturers.

Don't do the hard drive, the reason why there is a 5400 RPM hard drive is for portability, if you install the 7200 RPM hard drive it'll reduce the time the battery remains charged, the 7200 drive consumes 30% more power then the 5400RPM drive. Not to mention it probably voids the warranty.

Again if you want a bettter graphics card, buy the laptop with it, you'll void the warrenty. Also, a desktop graphics card is far from the same as a laptop graphics card, you'll be hard pressed to find one.

The only thing I ever recommend upgraded is the RAM, everything else is off limits.

Whats you price range, if you plan on gaming try and get at least the 7600gs, quite commun on the higher end laptops.

James

Edited by james_8970, 29 April 2007 - 03:35 PM.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yeah I'm getting the feeling upgrading the hardware in a laptop is just not wise. Other than voiding the warranty & reducing the life of the battery are there any other potential problems from replacing the hard drive?
It's nearly impossible to find notebook graphics cards for upgrade right?
I configured the Dell Latitude D620. It's the closest I've found to what I want. I want a 14.1" LCD screen with a 256MB or 512MB graphics card & a 7200RPM hard drive. The Dell Latitude D620 offers a "256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M TurboCache™" how's that for gaming? Only problems with the Dell D620 are that I have to buy a 3 Year Warranty, either get Windows XP or Vista Business, Vista Home Premium is not offered and it doesn't have a built in webcam (not sure about the mic). Forgot to mention it's quite pricey for the same config as the HP. HP comes to about $1250 where as the Dell comes to about $1500 (after discount) with the 256MB graphics card & 7200RPM hard drive but no webcam. What do you think? I need this laptop for August, should I wait a bit? Any rumours of prices reducing anytime soon?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You don't need the extra RAM on the video card, it won't make any difference, since you monitor will problaby be a lower resolution, right? Video card manufactures only want you to think more ram=more performance, this is ONLY the case when you are running high AA or most importantly playing on high resolutions, 1600x1050 or higher.
Wait, ATI is releasing new DX10 mobile graphics cards in May, but I wouldn't expect to see them on a large scale till late summer.
Don't buy Vista business, your paying for things you don't need and it doesn't have the media part of the operating system.
James

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yes but wouldn't the 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M TurboCache™ perform better than the 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7200 for games? I know what you mean about video RAM but Vista recommends 256MB for optimum peformance :whistling:
Please help me understand this video card problem because if the 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M TurboCache™ is not going to perform better for games then it's pointless for me to go for the Dell over ther HP. Yes compared to a 15.4" or a 17" it will be lower in resolution.
Also about Vista, what do you reckon I do in that case? Vista basic? I'm going to be using this laptop for university work mostly & play games to a certain extent. I have the Xbox 360 if I feel the need for the ultimate gaming experience :blink:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro is desinded for CAD (comptuer programing), not gaming! Don't get it! Yes it will game, but not very good, your paying for a desent graphics card that was constructed for other uses then gaming. To awnser your question, both are poor at gaming, look around for the 7600 series, it's not great but for laptops, it's about as good as it comes. Other wise you could wait till the summer when laptop will have DX10 graphics, both from Intel and ATI. Nvidia has launch a DX10 notebook line, but for the time being its only on the very high end, and so energy consuming, it renders the laptop very unportable.
As for vista, Vista home Premium is the sweet spot.
James

Edit: What's your price range? Even if you don't plan on gaming much the 7200 will barly get you by, if it even could on any of today's games. I'd try to shoot for the 7600 or ATI's x1600

Edited by james_8970, 29 April 2007 - 09:04 PM.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
That brings me back to square one doesn't it. My price range is a max. of $1500 without tax + shipping (mostly is free). My main criteria for the laptop though is a 14.1" widescreen, 256MB graphics card & 7200RPM hard drive, if possible a built in webcam. And well I guess the 256MB graphics card should be decent to play games. Any ideas?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If portablilty is your concern don't bother with the 7200RPM drive, it kills the battery much faster and it makes searching for laptops MUCH harder.
Give me a site that'll ship to your country and I'll look around.
If you plan on doing even a little bit of gaming, aim for the 7600 or x1600.
I got my friend everything that met this critiria and more for 1450$ canadian, taxes not included, but then I don't know the value of your dollar but CND is normally lower then most. :whistling:
James

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I'm going to be purchasing this laptop in the US. I've got a place in cali where it can be shipped to. I don't want a screen any bigger than 14.1 widescreen and well if I can't get a 7200RPM hard drive then that's fine but a good graphics card for decent gaming is essential & if possible a built in webcam. The rest of the specs need to be more or less the same as my initial post. If you find anything please let me know.
Thanks so much.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ok I'll take a look around, got two big tests tomorrow, but I might find some time to look around. If I haven't posted anything by wednesday night bump the topic :whistling:
James

Advertisements

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Hi James, haven't heard back from you yet, I think your probably over & done with your tests so maybe if you got a little time please post back.
Also, on another forum I was advised to have a look at "Compal HGL30" & "Asus A8JS". If your wondering where I got this from here is the link to it. I have heard of Asus but don't really know much about how reliable it is, Compal however I've never even heard of, any ideas about these two laptops?
I had a look at a couple of websites selling these laptops. They can be customized & I *am* getting what I want, well the closest to what I want anyway but reliability of the websites & the laptops themselves are keeping me a little in doubt.
Also if you don't mind could you tell me what's the difference between Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit & OEM & retail kits? Should I get Windows Vista Home Premium preinstalled from where I purchase the laptop or would I be better off purchasing it separately & installing it myself?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't get Asus, they have to many DOA (dead on arrivals) with their motherboards. As for the other company name, never heard of them, they may be European.

Get vista home premium 32 bit. There is no driver support for 64 bit operating systems right now and your just looking for trouble getting. Also it usually costs 20$ more since it's not popular now. Within 2-3 years that's what we are all going to be buying most likely. Yes get it preinstalled.

I'm going to look around a bit, I'll get back to you when I find something.

James

Edit: you get everything you want right here for 1500$ for the processor upgrade to the
-Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5300(1.73GHz/2MB L2Cache)
-200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (100GB x 2) Though I strongly don't recommend you do this, it's your call.
-40% off upgrade from 1GB (2 Dimm) to 2GB (2 Dimm)!

Again if you only get the 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive, you can get a better display and better graphics card or else a better processor. You also need to know there are two seperat hard drives in the 7200RPM configuration. Which will draastically reduce the life span. I also recommend the High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery.

Edited by james_8970, 03 May 2007 - 03:47 PM.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Sorry I didn't quite see you had edited the post, I was kind of expecting a new one so as to be notified by email of it. Anyway I tried accessing the link but it didn't work & gave me a Cto error :confused :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
K I'll get right on it tonight as I'm at school right now and they are block crazy. But again, if you get the 7200RPM hard drives, you'll have 2 hard drives that already consum alot of power, so your battery really won't last long at all. I really go against you buying the 7200RPM version, but I'll let you decided yourself once I get that link up and going again.
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sorry it took me so long.
Here's the link,
http://www.shopping....=dv9000t_series
Customize it to how you like.
If you get the monitor with a high resolution, your going to need to get the better video card, I recommend you don't.

Here are my recommended configurations to the notebook.
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600(1.83GHz/2MB L2Cache)
40% off upgrade from 1GB (2 Dimm) to 2GB (2 Dimm)!
160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive (this is up to you, just don't get the two hard drive configurations!)
FREE Upgrade - LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer

James

Edit: There is only one thing that doesn't meet what you want, the fact that it's 17" not 14.1"

Edited by james_8970, 09 May 2007 - 06:11 PM.