Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection won't connect

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Clandestine Showman

Clandestine Showman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all,

I have had a quick look through the forums but I can't see a resolution to my little problem with setting up a wireless router. I have just switched from my BT voyager modem to a Linksys wireless gateway. It has taken me a while to get it up and running but I have just about managed it. I'm connected via it writing this but only by using the ethernet cable.

The wireless light on the gateway is lit but my laptop's wireless connection is "not connected" and I can not find any wireless networks in the list when I open it up. I have tried repairing it but it then can't connect to the wireless network.

Can anyone give me any pointers out there :whistling:

Cheers,

The showman

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Clandestine Showman and welcome to G2G,

Please answer a few questions for me:

What is the model number number of your BT voyager modem?

What is the model number number of your Linksys wireless gateway?

What is the manufacturer and model number number of your Laptop?

What is the manufacturer and model number number of your Laptop's wireless card?

What operating system is being used on the laptop?

Is your ISP a Cable or DSL company?

Thanks.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 30 April 2007 - 06:04 AM.

Clandestine Showman

Clandestine Showman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Spacecowboy and thanks for the welcome. You guys helped me get this laptop back together when it wouldn't boot so I thought that I'd call on "your" assistance again for this problem.

My BT modem is a voyager 105.

My laptop is an Advent 7088 running XP Home edition which has a Ralink 802.11b/g wireless adapter.

My Linksys is a wireless-G gateway - model no. WAG54GS. Which on the box reckons is compatible with 802.11g

My ISP is British Telecom which is a DSL company.

Thanks for getting back to me. We may keep missing eachother due to time delays but I will keep checking the thread when I can.

Regards,

The Showman

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Have you already ran the "Setup Wizard" cd that came with your router?

If not please go here and click on the user guide link. Once the guide is opened follow the directions on pages 10 through 15. After completing these pages see if you can access the internet.

If you have already ran the "Setup Wizard" cd then please press and hold the "RESET" button, located next to the power button, for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds release the "RESET" button and unplug power from the router. Leave the router unplugged for just a few seconds then plug it back in to power. After the router has resumed normal operation then check and see if you can see the "LINKSYS" broadcast from your laptop?

Post back if you can or cant see the broadcast?

Clandestine Showman

Clandestine Showman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Spacecowboy,

The only buton next to the power button. Are you sure this is right to hold for 10 seconds?

Anyway, I have re-run the setup CD and followed the instructions again. I find it interesting that you need a wire to set up for wireless conncetion. However, like the other times that I have tried to install this, all goes well until the wireless configuration. From the user guide I select my ISP and the router says that it is PPPOA and I enter my BT username and password. However, when it tries to connect to the internet to load the language pack it tries to dial up BT with a phone number that is the same as the VPI and VCI settings and therefore doesn't connect (even though it should be conected anyway via the router). Cancelling this means that the router gets configured again but when I remove the wire or look at the properties of my wireless card, I still have the linksys connection with what looks like a little bow on it (but I'm sure that it's a cross).

Saying all that though, the easy setup light is still illuminated on the router which kind of gives me the feeling that someting isn't right along with the connection problems on loading the language pack.

Hope this makes sense.

The Showman

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

when it tries to connect to the internet to load the language pack it tries to dial up BT with a phone number that is the same as the VPI and VCI settings and therefore doesn't connect

US the number that it is dialing the correct number... (IE.... the same number that you would use if you were connected straight to the modem?)

also do you know for sure if your ISP uses PPOA?

Clandestine Showman

Clandestine Showman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Spacecowboy,

Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you soon but I have been away with work.

To be honest, I don't really know about the number or whether the ISP is PPPOA. I found some help on another site that said that BT is PPPOE but I don't know what either of them mean and the router picks up PPPOA so I stuck with that. I have also looked at the Communication settings for the voyager modem and that says that the encapsulation is RFC 2364 PPPoA TM NULL. As that worked before I started with the Linksys, I'm assuming that it's right.

As for the number I doubt if it's right but I can't find another one in any setting. I think that it's funny to have a comma in the phone number though. The number that it's trying to dial is stated as 0,38.

Very strange.

The Showman

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
call your isp and ask them if they use ppoe or ppoa or auto dhcp or what :whistling: .... then ask them what number your supposed to be using... this is the only way we can know for sure and keep ourselvs from running in circles for days.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 04 May 2007 - 06:19 AM.

Clandestine Showman

Clandestine Showman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Spacecowboy,

Thanks for all your help. I have managed to get things working with help from my brother-in-law. It seemed to be a WEP problem. He works for BT and has had problems with WEP in the past. Disabling that and securing the computer in other ways has made it all OK.

Perhaps something for other BT users to think about when setting up a wireless router in their home.

Regards,

The Showman

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
glad to see you going again.