Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Adapter Problem

• Please log in to reply

hovergoat

hovergoat

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The other day I was having trouble with a worm that invaded my system, I removed all traces of it but when i tried connecting to the router it just didn't work. I checked my network connections and my lan connection didn't even show up. I checked my network adapters via the device manager and next to all of them I get a little yellow exclamation mark. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all of the devices but I still get the same problem.

I have currently under the tab Network Adapter;

1394 Net Adapter
Direct Parallel
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Wan Miniport (IP)
Wan Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Wan Miniport (L2TP)
Wan Miniport (PPPOE)
Wan Miniport (PPTP)

thank you for any help that you can give

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you re-installed the drivers

hovergoat

hovergoat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes i have, every time I do it says problem with installation, the devices might not work properly. I cannot get on the internet from that computer so I am unable to update my drivers.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you use a PC to download and save this to disc, then run it on your PC, then try the driver installation

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

hovergoat

hovergoat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I ran it on the troubled computer and it didn't fix the problem. Im still getting the yellow exclamation points and no ability to connect to the router :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it give an exact error message?

If you open IE (regardless of it connecting) and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter, does it show the set up page

On the back of the tower, is there a light where the cable goes from the tower to the router

hovergoat

hovergoat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no i can't connect to the router at all.

It does light up though from the cable to the tower and it shows that the cable is connected to the router on the front of the router.

As for an error message there is none. On firefox and ie it just recognizes that there the no connectivity.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a system restore point, you would need to check the worm status but something has been removed with it

hovergoat

hovergoat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
for some reason my restore points got deleted :whistling: so my last restore point is yesterday... I think that i might try to format and if that doesn't work, pull everything and reformat. Thanks for all your help and time though. It is much appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter

If there is no change

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

hovergoat

hovergoat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i just formated it and that seemed to fix the problem :whistling: , thanks again for all your help