Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot add/remove Photo Plus 8.0 from list

• Please log in to reply

angelinhi

angelinhi

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I attempted to uninstall Serif's Photo Plus 8.0 b/c it wasn't working correctly. I tried Add/Remove and although it removed the program files, it still appears on the Add/Remove list.

I ran regedt32 and tried to remove it that way - as instructed on microsoft.com - but it is still there!

I also cannot re-install it. The CD won't even autoplay.

Any advice? I use this program OFTEN and DAILY!

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In add and remove, if you click remove does it say this programme is no longer available do you want to remove it from this list

If you load the CD, right click the drive, click explore, can you see the set up file

angelinhi

angelinhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
No it doesn't say the program is no longer available.

If I click the button (it says Change/Remove), it brings up the Installation Wizard and gives me 3 choices: the first one I can't remember the name but it's to add more graphics to Photo Plus, the second is Repair, and the third is Remove. When I click any of the choices, it's as if it starts to carry out the task, skips all the steps that it takes to complete the task, then tells me it's done.

Yes, I can see setup.exe on the CD as well as whatever other parts of the program is on there. However double-clicking on the setup.exe brings about the same result mentioned above.

I'm stumped.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you look in the programme files folder for photo plus, if there, move the folder to My Documents

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

You can try photo plus now or run through the rest then try

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Hubster2

Hubster2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
or you could just try turning it on and off.

angelinhi

angelinhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok, I did everything as instructed and ignored the post right above me.

The only difference is the folder for the PhotoPlus was titled "Serif" so I moved the entire folder to My Docs. Here are the results:

~ Photo Plus is still on the Add/Remove Programs list
~ Photo Plus still cannot be installed/uninstalled
~ Photo Plus still gives me the same results mentioned in the other post where it seems to do something, doesn't, then says it's finished
~ The CD will still not AutoPlay and I get the same above results if I double-click on setup.exe when I open the CD
~ When I reboot, Windows Installer wants to install something, some "SCAN" and I don't know what that is. It won't let me exit and keeps flashing an error message. When I hit cancel, it keeps looking for the CD-ROM for "SCAN".

I'm going insane. Do you have any other suggestions? I have an email to their tech support but have a feeling I may never get an answer.

Edited by angelinhi, 30 April 2007 - 03:31 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Likely to be this

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

Occasionally the system file check does not start using run, so you can also right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then click OK

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

angelinhi

angelinhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok it looks like I need to track one down since my computer is new and came with everything on it and what CDs I got from the techs don't seem to be the one I need.

In the meantime, what can I do about PhotoPlus? Should I just give up?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use search, include hidden and system files, then look for Serif / photoplus and move anything to My Documents

Run this to see if it helps auto run

http://download.micr...240/AutoFix.exe

Can you try the CD in another computer

Does photo plus do anything similar to this

http://www.getpaint....creenshots.html

The stable release is 3.05

http://www.filehippo...paint.net/?2440

It requires .net framework 2.0

http://msdn2.microso...k/aa569263.aspx

angelinhi

angelinhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have moved all found Serif files to My Docs and also ran that AutoPlay that you posted about. Here's the log for the AutoPlay wizard - I am assuming you will understand it more than I! This is the only computer I have and I guess things seem to be going towards the CD being rendered useless b/c of some mysterious damage however I cannot understand why I cannot remove the darn thing from my hard drive! It's still in the Add/Remove list!

I appreciate all your help and patience.

=================

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2007-04-30 13:01:07]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager

Click the + next to DVD / CD-ROM Drives, left click the drive, then right click and click uninstall / remove, confirm then restart the PC

Try the CD, or any CD ROM

Look for a firmware update from the manufacturer's site, though it needs to be correct as they are usually irreversible. If you cannot find one, post the make and model (shown in device manager)

angelinhi

angelinhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok. My other CD-ROMs as well as a music CD does just fine. :whistling:

I have an ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P an there are no updates at this time.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Beginning to look as though the Serif CD ROM is suspect

Trying it in any other PC could save you a lot of heartache

photoplus 6 is free though not the version you want it may help to see if any of their software will install

http://www.freeserif...lus/default.asp

angelinhi

angelinhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Keith, thank you so much for taking me through all of these steps. I really appreciate it. I have also learned some new things.

I am assuming now that I won't be able to remove the darn thing w/o a working PhP 8.0 CD so I guess I'll just leave it alone.

Thank you too for the PhP 6.0 link! I'll try it while I ruminate over upgrading to 11.0.