Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Usb to PS/2

• Please log in to reply

rquarter

rquarter

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have two pcs and im i have them set up to work off the same mouse keyboard and monitor with a switch. Problem is, i bought a new mouse and i can't get the computers to recognize the mouse. It is a usb mouse and i have a usb -> ps/2 connector on it. It also will not work in the pc without the switch. usb to ps/2 connector just has no effect. What am i doing wrong?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you turning off the PC BEFORE you disconnect the old PS/2 connector and attach the new one? Unlike USB, you can't hot-swap devices that plug into a PS/2 port.

Fenor

rquarter

rquarter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Tried restarting and turning the pc offf, still nothing.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can actually buy ps/2 optical mice, General Electric sells one, but I've seen others. And they work just like regular ps/2 mice, I've used them on some pretty old machines so they really act like ps/2 mice, not USB mice with adapter. And they're quite cheap too since they are considered somewhat obsolete.

rquarter

rquarter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Problem is i already bought this usb mouse and it came with the ps/2 adaptar but the adapter seems to have no effect waht so ever. Any thoughts?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

It also will not work in the pc without the switch.

How is the switch connected to the computer where the PS/2 mouse won't work unless it is connected to the computer through the switch?

Fenor

rquarter

rquarter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The switch just allows me to switch back and fourth between 2 pcs using teh same mouse and key board and monitor, you just plug the stuff into the switch and then the switch has wires for the mouse keyboard and monitor for each pc. its made by iogear.
But i can't get teh mouise to work without the switch either, so the switch isn't the problem.

Edited by Fenor, 01 May 2007 - 10:38 AM.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
You can say that again... (sorry *hangs head*)

It's called a KVM switch (Keyboard Video and Mouse) and it allows you to have 1 set of those 3 things (and sometimes speakers) that you can use to switch between 2 or more PC's. I have one at home for when I fix a PC for someone, because I always seem to spend a LOT of time doing virus scan, scandisk, defrag, spyware check, SFC, ect.... I can sit at my desk with my mouse surf, work and/or play on may machine while occasionally switching over to project machine to see if it's done with a step and start next step.

I love my KVM and it has helped me retain the sanity I now have... (computers, id10t's, bureaucracies, and politicians removed most of my sanity)

If the KVM and the computer do not recognize the mouse it could be a driver issue (yes sometimes you need to install drivers even for a mouse). Have you tried it on another machine? Hardware can come out of the box broken....

Try to locate drivers and try to test mouse on another machine...

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-rquarter-(USB mouse does not work with PS2)-1st May-2007

It is probably the mouse – Turn mouse over & read the description on bottom side. It must state – USB / PS/2 Compatible – in order to be a – Hybrid Mouse – Usually a – Hybrid Mouse will have the USB – PS/2 Adapter – packaged in the box.

The Hybrid Mouse has internal circuitry that will detect – USB Power or PS/2 Power – Just having the adapter will not make it a Hybrid Mouse –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 01 May 2007 - 10:33 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

The switch just allows me to switch back and fourth between 2 pcs using teh same mouse and key board and monitor, you just plug the stuff into the switch and then the switch has wires for the mouse keyboard and monitor for each pc. its made by iogear.
But i can't get teh mouise to work without the switch either, so the switch isn't the problem.

What I was referring to is does the switch connect to the computer using USB or PS/2 connectors?

Advertisements

rquarter

rquarter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The switch just takes my monitor plug and plugs that into the switch then the switch splits it into two and does the same with the keyboard and mouse but only has ps/2 connectors on the switch (the switch is made by iogear)

I am trying to plug my usb mouse into the ps/2 connector using a usb to ps/2 adaptar but the adaptar has no effect even just with no switch and staight into the pc.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried what was suggested by other memebers to install the mouse on another computer? It could be that the new mouse or the usb/ps2 adapter are broken. Just try to connect it directly to your other computer (leave the switch out)

rquarter

rquarter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the mouse works fine on my computer im trying to say it works fine as a usb mouse but as soon as i add the ps/2 connector and try to use a ps/2 mouse port it dosn't work,, switch is not connected.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-rquarter-(usb-mouse-does-not-work-with-PS2)-7th May-2007

The problem is one of two conditions –

1. Mouse is a USB Mouse only & not a Hybrid Mouse
2. PS/2 Port on PC is blown out

Simply try the mouse in question – on the PS/2 Port on another Computer -

NOTE - Do not connect or disconnect any PS/2 devices – with PC POWER ON -
The PS/2 Ports are – Not Hot- Swap Ports – Only connect/disconnect with PC Power Off

Now if Mouse does not function using PS/2 Port – Then it is not a Hybrid Mouse – You need to purchase a Hybrid or a PS/2 Mouse

If Mouse does work using the PS/2 Port – then the PS/2 Port in your PC is BAD – You need to repair or replace Motherboard

– PS/2 Port was damaged when connecting/disconnecting to/from PS/2 Port with PC Power ON -

Jack123 -

Edited by Jack123, 07 May 2007 - 03:41 PM.

rquarter

rquarter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok thanks jack, im pretty sure its a hybird because it came with the adpatar and it would be kinda silly for it to not work if it came with it, ill give it a shot though.