Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway Notebook + Win XP Question

• Please log in to reply

CurtK

CurtK

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have an older Gateway Solo Pro 9300. (1999 or so) I am running Win 98 with little trouble but would like to install XP.

According to Gateways website, Windows XP is not supported for the Solo Pro 9300 although there are some 9300 laptops for sale on Ebay with XP installed. ???

Any idea how?

Any special tips?

Thanks-Curt

Advertisements

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
It could be a ram issue. xp requires min 128mb ram. althought it will run with less than this 64mb if i remember correctly. preformance will be slow and sluggish. i would personelly recommend 256 min of ram. do you know how much ram is in your laptop.
Did they not say why it would not support xp. you could try emailing there tech support team and ask them.

CurtK

CurtK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Gateway didn't give details,I may e mail tech, I think this computer would be fine I just wasn't sure.

Gateway Solo Notebook/Pentium III/500Mhz/128mb RAM/20GB HD

Thanks!

-Curt

Remailer

Remailer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
you will be able to run windows on that but it may be slow. Remember all your devices may not work but i think that this day in age with xp being out so long you should have no problem. DONT upgrade. Upgrading will cause problems down the line. Just do a fresh install. Hope this helps.