Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Used PC has had all icons deleted from desktop

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
The title pretty much says it all.
In their zeal to clean a computer, the folks who sold it to me have deleted all the icons except for the recycle bin.
(MyDocuments, NetworkPlaces, My Computer, etc)

Is there any easy way to get those back?
I kinda like having them.

It is an XP home computer, everything else seems OK

Edited by mequestion, 29 April 2007 - 09:00 PM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Tweak UI, the essential "Powertoy" for Windows makes it easy: http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx Other good stuff there also, like Clear Type Tuning. Alternatively, right click an open section of the taskbar and go to Toolbars. Mark the entry for "Desktop." The word "Desktop" will appear near the Notification tray with two little chevron style arrows. All the standard icons should appear in the pop-up menu that displays when you click the arrows, and those icons can be dragged and dropped onto the Desktop itself. The Icons that appear in the Desktop Toolbar are system icons and not just shortcuts, so a right click will offer "real" Properties, but the copy you drop onto the desktop will be a shortcut.

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi again
Thanks, that did the trick!

I also have still a related issue.

I was able to find a registry tweak to change the name of registered owner from hers to mine without having to run the original disks and re-do everything, but the main "my documents" and everything is still in her name. It shows in the file path when I try something like uploading a pix for instance.

Is there any easy way to either change that, (which it tells me I cannot do now) or create another folder on the same directory level, and simply abandon that one?
Neither one of us wants that. She thought that all instances of her name were gone after the big delete-o-rama.

Is there any way that anyone could read that name through looking at a photo or whatever which was uploaded through this PC?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Yes, you log in as administrator and add your own user name, copy everything from her files and settings to yours, then delete her as a user. Since important system files are in her folders don't delete her entries until you're absolutely certain all yours work.

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
OK, the stupid question... I am now administator.
Do I sign in with my "USERNAME", or as "ADMINISTRATOR",
I have
never once been able to get logged in as administrator, no matter what I tried, even when the thing tells me I am admin.
It would always tell me to log in as admin... again and again...

I also do not know how to create a folder in the top uppermost level under "C", where "My_Documents", "My_Music" etc are usually at, (aren't they?).

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
With Windows it never seems to be completely straightforward. Although I am an Administrator of my system according to the privileges of my account, there is actually an over all "ADMINISTRATOR" account as well, most easily accessed from "Safe Mode." If I begin pressing F8 over and over as my computer runs its Power On Self Test (POST) during which the screen shows the manufacturer's logo, I will soon arrive at a black screen with white writing upon which it is necessary to move the highlight with the arrow keys and select my choice with the "Enter" key. When I select "Safe Mode," I get more black screen with white writing until finally a small windows screen opens, and I am asked to log in either as my account name or "Administrator." This is the ultimate Administrator account, and if your friend never set a password, you can just click in and go. Remember that in this account the changes you make are global--apply to the entire system. You may find this Microsoft article helpful as you set up a new account with all the necessary data: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151 I know that technically the old account is not "corrupt," but since you are having such trouble with "My Documents," it might be easiest to treat it as if it were. Once you make the new account and transfer all the data, wait a while before deleting the old one to make sure that everything is working well in the new, and that no data is missing. Then delete it from the User Accounts applet of the Control Panel. There are ways to make the ADMINISTRATOR account visible on the "Welcome Screen," but most of us find that using Safe Mode works fine for the few times we need to access that account. Good luck, and please post back with your progress.

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Yes, you log in as administrator and add your own user name, copy everything from her files and settings to yours, then delete her as a user. Since important system files are in her folders don't delete her entries until you're absolutely certain all yours work.

OK, I take that to mean I type the excact word "Administrator" into the thing?

Because I am administrator now, (I show as the nickname I use) after doing that reg-hack, and there are NO other users shown. She was the one and only user shown prior

I have transferred all the contents from her former My documents, but it still will not let me delete or rename that
This is turning into a clusterf*

I have more computers.

Is there some way to transfer all my stuuf to one of those, re-format, and out the stuff back in?

The last time I had to reformat one, it took days and weeks even to get everything back to the way I had it.

Do you think at this point I should just reformat?

Why to heck are there soo many stupid levels?

What to heck is the difference between "owner", and Administrartor.

Because on one of my other ones I am "owner". Apparently this here one has no owner...

What is the proper way to set this up?
I am the only user.