Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BAT File for running slideshow

• Please log in to reply

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I created a CD of about 400 photos to send to family, but they're not the best with computers. To make it as simple as possible on them I would like the slide show thing to turn on automatically and go through the photos on disc insertion. I already created autorun.inf on the cd which says:

[autorun]
open=slideshow.bat
icon=costarica.ico

(Yes, the icon file is there as well) I'd like to use a BAT (or simple other way) to automatically load the little slide show program bundled in with the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" and start a slideshow with the first photo whenever somebody inserts the disc. What needs to be typed into slideshow.bat? The only files on the disc are autorun.inf, eventually slideshow.bat, 400 photos, and a few movies inside a seperate "movie" folder.

Edited by beethoven, 29 April 2007 - 09:55 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got a question for you...just as a method that might get this working easier for you....do you happen to have microsoft power point? powerpoint can be used to set up a slide show...and i believe starting with office 2003 (though XP might be able to do it as well) there is a "package for CD" option that will make a CD that will automatically start the slide show when you put the disk in the PC

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can use Irfanview to make very nice slide shows, you can set the parameters easily. It's in the form of an .exe file so all you need to do is write a very simple autorun.ini file pointing to the .exe.. Let Irfanview go to .bat for you!

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

i've got a question for you...just as a method that might get this working easier for you....do you happen to have microsoft power point? powerpoint can be used to set up a slide show...and i believe starting with office 2003 (though XP might be able to do it as well) there is a "package for CD" option that will make a CD that will automatically start the slide show when you put the disk in the PC

I do have Power Point 2003, but I don't know if my recipients of these disks will or not and would rather not go that route unless they do not need Power Point to run the slideshow.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I do have Power Point 2003, but I don't know if my recipients of these disks will or not and would rather not go that route unless they do not need Power Point to run the slideshow.

Power point viewer is a free download from MS if you choose to go that route.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
actually....when you package the show for CD in powerpoint...it includes the powerpoint viewer in the download...so all they need is a computer with a cdrom drive

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Well thanks for the PowerPoint related ideas. I'm just dealing with some people with negative computer skills and need it as simple as possible. I went with the IrfanView slideshow idea and that worked perfectly. Thanks a lot to everybody!