Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS WORD 2000/2002 Freezes After A Few Lines of Typing

• Please log in to reply

Quantised Universe

Quantised Universe

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear all,

From a few days ago, I've had this problem. I can open MS Word 2000 or 2002 fine. But after typing a few lines, MS Word freezes. Then the computer freezes entirely. I cannot even open Task Manager (by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL). To turn off the computer to restart the computer, I had to press the ON/OFF button of the computer.

I've tried reinstaling both Word programs, and even performed repairs. I have done this a few times for each version of Word. Neither method has solved the problem.

I've noticed that when Word freezes, the "pen and notepad" picture of the Spelling and Grammar Check freezes. So, I've tried disabling the Check. It didn't sovle the problem either. I've also deleted the Spelling and Grammar Check folder (under the Registry Editor "regedit"). Word has reinstalled the Check when I did this. But still, after typing a few lines, it freezes again! I don't get any error messages.

Other Office programs such as Excel work fine. Also, other programs work fine. It's only Word that's causing problems!

I use Microsoft XP (Home Edition) and my computer is HP Pavillion 720a.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could solve this problem.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Quantised Universe. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Have you ever been able to use either version of Word since you've had them both installed? If so, what might have happened?

The problem could be a corrupt add-in or start up template. So try this: click Start, Run..., and type in
"c:\program files\microsoft office\office##\winword.exe" /a

This will start Word with no add-ins or global templates (see MS Article 210565 for additional command line switch options). Be sure to include the quotation marks and the space before /a. Change Office## to the specific Office subfolder. Or do a search for Winword.exe, note the full location.

Does either Word version lock up when started with the /a switch?

Edited by LindaGail, 30 April 2007 - 09:06 AM.

Quantised Universe

Quantised Universe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Linda,

I have had one Word installed at a time, i.e. when Word 2002 didn't work, I removed it and installed Word 2000.

I have tried your winword /a method. There is no problem (I think) with the Normal.dot file.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Please confirm that you continued to have freezes when opening Word with the /a switch.

Quantised Universe

Quantised Universe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Let me try that once again...

Also, Linda, it's almost 1:30 am in Sydney, Australia.

Unfortunately, I have to sleep soon. So this would be one last attempt to solve the problem. (I will go to bed in half an hour or so.)

Thanks for your help.

Quantised Universe

Quantised Universe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, Linda, I am on a laptop. The problem is on my PC.

I have done that "winword /a" thing. It does freeze Word 2000.

I typed "winword /a" without speech marks on Run. (This is the way a website described to me.)

Edited by Quantised Universe, 30 April 2007 - 09:26 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'll have to think on this some more. I'll post back later today and you'll have it tomorrow.

Quantised Universe

Quantised Universe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks a lot, Linda. I really appreciate your help.

Do you mind sending me an email when you do post a message? Email addy removed

I have described everything that I know of so far. However, if you need any more information about my problem, please do not hesitate to post your messages.

Edited by LindaGail, 30 April 2007 - 09:33 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hey, Quantised_Universe. Look at this link that lists a whole bunch of troubleshooting things for Word. We've done the first one (starting Word with the /a switch). Go down the article, trying each one. Hopefully one of them will help.

Here are the usual Startup/Template locations for Word:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates <= this is where my normal.dot resides (I have Office 2003 and WXP)
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE##\STARTUP <= this is where my add-in templates reside
C:\My Documents\Templates (or Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents)
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Please post the results.

If none help, can you recall what might have happened with your computer just before Word messed up originally? Did you install anything? Make any kind of changes? Update anything?

Quantised Universe

Quantised Universe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Linda,

First of all, I have tried nearly all of the methods given on the website before I asked for your help!

I have tried the method below just then.

If Word launches fine, but crashes or freezes when you perform some function like making text bold or hitting the Print icon, it is possible your registry's data key has become corrupt. The Data key stores a lot of your toolbar and macro settings. To fix this, you must close Word and edit the registry as follows:

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\ Word. (Note: the 9.0 refers to Word 2000, if you use Word 97, you will see 8.0, Word 2002 is 10.0, and Word 2003 is 11.0). Inside the Word folder, you will see a folder called "Data". Delete this Data folder and relaunch Word. Just like with the global template, Word will look for this Data folder and recreate it fresh if it can't find it.

It's still causing a problem...

I've also tried disabling the Norton AntiVirus office plug-in and Windows Firewall... Still a problem!

Anyway, I am going to see a technician tomorrow.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help.