Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

only my computers allowed to connect

• Please log in to reply

mk1james

mk1james

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
how do i make it so i can have only my computer, my dads laptop, my PS3 nd my PSP only allowed to work on my router because ive watched this video about people hacking in and it said i should get it so only mine can work on it and it will be safe.

Thank you

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you mean wirelessly connecting...then you should enable WEP or WPA (WPA is stronger but your devices have to support it) as well as MAC filtering on the wireless setup....these measures are crackable and not foolproof but they go a long way to securing your system...most people would rather move on to the next unsecured connection than spend the time cracking your router....as far as actual WIRED connections...don't let anyone you don't know plug in to your router

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
its mac filtering i want i got WEP but like i said i found out they can go passed it very easy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
read the manual for your router about how to set up mac filtering...it's pretty easy but the steps can be different between routers

to get the mac address of your PC: click start, then run, then type "cmd" without the quotes, this will open a command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes in the command prompt...this will list the info for all of your adapters...the "physical address" is the mac address of that adapter...you want the one for your wireless adapter

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
ok but how do i get my mac code for my PS3?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
haha that i have no idea...google "MAC address" + "PS3"

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
alright then ok i will do that :whistling: and i will tell you whats happend soon

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
nope i looked at the manual that SKY gave me and has NOTHING on security or how to mac it