Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Constant whirring from laptop

• Please log in to reply

peter plus

peter plus

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
My PC almost constantly emits a loud whirring sound. I'm assuming that it is the hard disk rather than the fan.

Any suggestions how to stop/reduce it?

Also my cd/dvd doesn't work. On putting in a cd/dvd it makes a bit of a clicking sound and is not recognised in My Computer.
Does it neeed replacing or is there some possible fix worth trying?

Many thanks

Advertisements

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
On the issue about the "loud whirring sound" your hearing: Has this always occured since you've aquired this PC? Or did this just start occuring one day out of the blue? Hard to really say what it could be without hearing it myself, but I'd suggest (if you use caution) to open the side panel of your computer and listen a bit closer to isolate the location of the noise maker.

On the clicking sound with your CD/DVD drive: Does this sound occur when the CD tray opens/retracts? Or just when a CD/DVD is trying to be read? Could possibly be a problem with the header inside. Problem here is going to be if it is something actually broken inside, it will probably cost you way less to replace this (depending on brand and model) than to have it fixed by a computer technician. Warranty on this drive at all? :whistling:

Edited by GodSpeed005, 02 May 2007 - 01:34 PM.