Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP! GREAT TROUBLE!

• Please log in to reply

pers

pers

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
okay, here is the situation:

I'm writing this topic from school, because i have problems with BOTH of my computers at home!!

It all started when my friend brought his video card from home so we can play some LAN games over the weekend, because only my core 2 duo has a video card, but my athlon x2 4200+ has onboard, as it is mainly used for documents and stuff. So when my friend had to leave, we forgot about the card and had to remove it in the hurry, and i forgot to remove the drivers and switch the settings back to onboard graphics. So we removed the card, and the computer would boot up, load windows, but not show me anything after! Just a black screen! I had this problem before with my AMD, and i just did 'system recovery' and it would go back to normal, despite me losing all the data i had on it... I cannot do it this time, because my dad has some important documents on it, so i cannot do system recovery. So i thought that maybe if i put in my gf 7600 from the core 2 duo into my athlon, and connect the monitor to it, that it would load up, then i'd change the settings in windows, turn the computer off and just remove the card and everything would go back to normal (btw my friend's card is a 7300gs, and i have a 7600gt). So i removed the card and placed it into the amd, and nothing has happened, so i just put the card back into the core 2 duo. And to my GREAT frustration, it would not boot up!!!!!!!! I would just not see anything on the screen! WHY? I was extremely frustrated!!! I just couldn't believe it, why whould that happen? I mean, i have cut out the power when i removed the video card and stuff, but the fact is, after i took it out and put it back in, it stopped working. My athlon at least can boot up, but on my core 2 duo, the hard drive activity led just glows... and the power led doesn't glow at all... (or at least i think so, if they are the cooresponding led's) Anyways, my dad doesn't know that the core 2 duo doesn't boot up, and he'll be really frustrated as well when he finds out... I just need at least the core 2 duo to work properly, it is the only computer with access to the internet... and it's freshly built to...

Anyways, i'm now really worried about my core 2 duo not working, what did i do wrong? I re-set the bios, i took out the card and put it back in, i put it in another slot (i have an sli motherboard) why is it not even starting, the red light glows constantly , which is the hard drive activity, and the blue light doesn't glow at all!!!!! Could it be that i ruined the video card with static electricity or something, when i was taking it from one computer to the other? what can it be? i din't see any burning or whatever, .. it seems quite normal, all the fast spin and stuff, even on the fan on the video card.

I am extremely frustrated, i do not know what to do!! Please help me, and tell me what this can possibly be caused by!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you, any help will be HIGHLY appreciated

pers

Edited by pers, 30 April 2007 - 12:27 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Not so great trouble. You have to go into BIOS setup and make sure the onboard graphics is enabled, usually go to periferals configuration, then you have to start the computer in safe mode and uninstall the graphics drivers for the AGP card. You may need to reinstall the drivers for the onboard, you can go to the maker's site to do that if need be.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
thank you, that's for my amd, (btw i have a pci-e card), what about my core 2 duo, why would it even not boot? i can't even see start-up screen, the biow, nothing!

please help

pers

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Sounds like you were stressed out when you did the re-install of video card...
When I'm stressed out I can forget to :
1). make sure the card is properly seated...
2). make sure any extra power connectors are attached...
3). make sure no RAM chips were bumped out of seating...
4). make sure all power connectors are still attached.
5). make sure monitor is attached to computer...

I have even turned off the power in the back close to the power cord and given myself an ulser when my system didn't boot up (because I didn't turn the power back on in the back) .

Once my wife forgot to turn a power strip back on and we spent time examining a LOT of other stuff.

what I'm trying to say is check the dumb stuff. When I'm stressed I get sloppy, perhaps you do too.

If that stuff is NOT it what does happen? any fans spin? any lights come on? and beep messages at post time? does your monitor show that it sees the computer?

If I've insulted you by assuming you do dumb stuff while stressed out (like me) I apologize...but only AFTER you check that stuff.

Edited by bobmad, 30 April 2007 - 12:08 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
okay thanks, i'll try the 'dumb stuff' lol.

I understand what you're saying, but i only took the card out, and then just put it back in, without changing anything else.. Yes all the fans spin, the one on the front of the case, the one on the back of the case, the zalman heatsink/fan spins, the video card fan spins, and i'm quite sure the psu dual fans spin as well.

I'll check everything today when i come home today, but i hardly changed anything, except for the video card of coarse.. So yeah..

Thanks everybody for trying to help me out in my situation, i know i can rely on you guys :whistling:

if it's not any of the 'dumb' mistakes, what can it possibly be? could the video card screw up from static electricity, but the fan still spins though... so i'm not sure

thank you very much, i'll be waiting for your help

pers

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
2). make sure any extra power connectors are attached...
3). make sure no RAM chips were bumped out of seating...
5). make sure monitor is attached to computer...

All the other power stuff you can ignore (except to make sure monitor is getting power of course).

Do you have a mobo/case speaker so you can hear post beeping? If so any beeps?

Most monitors I've seen have a yellow light that comes on then they are on. That light turns green when the computer is on. Does yours? Does it change to green after your computer is on?

Does your CAPS LOCK or NUM LOCK light work on keyboard?

Any of these things can give clues as to what's wrong.

YES you COULD have damaged the video card by re-installing it. That is much less likely than MANY other things.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
The monitor light does not go green after the computer is turned on.
Also my USB keyboard does display any lights (caps lock, number lock, scroll lock)
Also when i press the cd/dvd drive eject button it doesn't come out.
There is no beeping when the computer is turned on.
Yet all the fans are working.

could it still be possibly the video card?

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Okay, i somehow managed to do system recovery on my AMD, but all my folders in 'my documents' are gone :whistling:, it's weird... But i was happy that all my program files are still there. Anyways, when i entered, it told me to follow some set-up, and change my computer to an earlier, but i did not find any 'set-up' and just intalled the video card driver and thought it was going to be alright... So this mourning i turned the computer on, and it did not load, told me it was missing some drive or something, and that it needed some path/code to be entered, and there was the place to enter it... i didn't know what to do, so just restarted and same problem occured... Could you please help me out here? i need a computer to at least do my h/w on the computer... i don't have access to the internet at home! Should i re-set the bios taking out the bettery?

Btw, i think the mo-bo is screwed up on my core 2 duo, but we'll re-install all the parts again, and see if it'll be alright, otherwise, we'll swith up the mo-bo.

any help would be appreciated

pers

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is there any way you can take a screenshot of this error that is asking for a directory? I don't think it is a BIOS setting is the problem but it wouldn't hurt to confirm that. Just make sure you go in the BIOS and see that the settings are correct after the CMOS clear.

Also try booting up with as few componants as possible (eg- one stick of RAM, CPU, and HDD only). This usually helps narrow down the possibilities if it is in fact damaged hardware.

Edited by Titan8990, 01 May 2007 - 01:47 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Since you just took the graphic card out the system had no time to go back to the defaults and therefore it thinks the card is still there. The problem with the error occurs when a Windows File is missing. One question, have you tried reseting the BIOS to its defaults? Also I would recommend that you do a clean install of Windows, since you lost all your files anyways. You can try the Ubuntu CD to load up an operating system and then backup whatever file is left on maybe another hard drive possibly the C2D's hard drive and then when you formated and reinstalled Windows copy everything back.

Soorena

Advertisements

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello, i'm writing to you from my AMD.

I took out the battery, to re-set the bios, and then booted up again, and it seems to be working just fine, although, my Core 2 Duo build isn't doing that great, still... My dad offers me to take everything out, and then put it back together all over again, and it should work, because he donesn't think that something could happen to such a good mobo in such a short period of time, so we'll try to maybe re-assemble the computer. None-the-less, what if it IS my mobo, can i exchange it? I did not buy any warranties or anything like that... I bought all my computer parts at tiger direct, directly at the store (they seemed to have all the parts we've picked out). Also, i think it's been more than 30 days since built the pc, so would they still switch it with another one? If they don't and something did happen to the mobo, what do i do? Do i have to ship it to asus or something? it says 36 months of warranty, but i did overclock.. is that going to be a problem? Anyways, thanks for all your help, i hope i'll be hearing from you shortly.

Sinserely,

Pers

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The big downfall of overclocking is that it does void your warrenty. I have also wandered how much of a hassle would it be to return a part to the manufacture.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
wait, so i no longer have the warranty? but i did clear the bios by taking out the battery... how can they find out?

and also, is it really a trouble to return a product to the manufacturer?

what do you guys think, is there still hope that everything is alright? Could my problem be solved by simply re-assembling my whole build? and if it is the mobo, would it be not possible to return it to tiger direct if the 30 days have passed, and i have overclocked??

tell me what you think, because i'm lost :whistling:

pers

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
So you guys think my mobo can still be alive? i'm going to re-assembly my computer on the weekend, could there still be a chance of some... dust or something which it was not able to boot from? :blink: :whistling:

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
All of your hardware COULD be fine. All of it COULD be hosed. A static shock you can't feel can kill hardware.

Most likely in my opinion, you have settings somewhere that are the issue. By going through and rebuilding (like it was new) you should be able to save everything.

Slow and steady... 1 step at a time.