Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PLEASE HELP! GREAT TROUBLE!

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The big downfall of overclocking is that it does void your warrenty. I have also wandered how much of a hassle would it be to return a part to the manufacture.

This statement is false, many manufacturers are beginning to see that giving warrenty, overclocking included, is a great selling point. Which it is, but we pay a little more for the hardware because of this. I don't know much about asus motherboard warrenties, as I'm not a fan of thier boards, but you should check it out and read what it states. Also, if the motherboard is gone it very hard to figure out what is wrong unless you swape it for another one to test out things such as your video card, sound card and ram. Are your fans even booting, LED lights on, on the motherboard? If not it may be the PSU. Sorry I didn't have time to read back.
James

Advertisements

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
yes, the green motherboard light lights up when i turn the computer on, all the fans spin, including the two on the xfinity 600W dual rail psu, i don't think there is trouble with the psu. Also, the hard drive activity light just keeps lighting, without any blinks or anything, and the computer on/off LED does not light at all... Also, the cd-drive does not go out if i press the button...

So do you guys recommend on carefully re-building all of my components, or go swap the mobo first (at least try). Even if my warranty is voided when i overclocked, how is it possible to find out that i have, because i have re-set the battery? And will tiger direct swap this mobo even thogh i've used it for more than 30 days?

pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I recommend swaping the motherboard first as it seems like the most likly case, that is if you have a friend or someone with the same socket.

There are more ways to check if you have overclocked then that, I believe they check for volatage irregularities thought that chip. Things like that, besides if you can't access the BIOS, chances are they can'T either.

If you want to rule out the hard drive and memory, unplug them both from the motherboard and see if it'll boot into BIOS. If it doesn't, it's either the motherboard or CPU thats gone to the shits.

James

Edit: As far as the warrenty goes, read into the info on your board, as far as tiger direct goes I don't think they'll do anything after 30 days, but then again I could be wrong. I recommend you check it out.

Edited by james_8970, 02 May 2007 - 11:22 AM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Alright, we desided to re-assemble everything this saturday, carefully, step-by-step. I hope it all goes well, and my computer is alright. Any suggestions, or something? Should i apply the CPU grease on top of it when i install it again? W.e, so any suggestions or anything, along the way?

pers :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you plan on removing the CPU and then placing it back in then yes, you'll need to reapply thermal grease.

I recommend you follow my last post though.

James

Edited by james_8970, 03 May 2007 - 11:36 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Make sure wipe off all of the termal pad before appling new grease. I hear it can really cause problems to mix types of compound. I remeber reading a while back that is best to use isopropyl rubbing alcohol and not ethanol.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
waa? rubbing alcohol for what? for removing the grease off??? :whistling:

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Okay, i have a really quick question, but it is really important, as it concerns me alot.

I have a friend with a 775 socket, and he has a Pentium D 840. I was just woundering, do i take out his processor and put it into my motherboard, or take out my processor and put it into his motherboard? Also, what concerns me, is there a possibility or any danger in doing that, is all of his hardware going to be fine? Is everything going to come back to the way it used to be after we do the swap?
Basically, are there any dangers/precaucions i should be aware of?

Thank you in advance

Pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ignore

Edited by james_8970, 06 May 2007 - 04:36 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ignore

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ignore

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ignore

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If this is your motherboard then put his Pentium D into your case as we are guaranteed that it'll work, if the motherboard isn't fried.
James

P.S. Sorry about all those posts, the forum was kinda down and it just kept loading.....never telling me it posted.

Edited by james_8970, 06 May 2007 - 04:37 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Alright, i'm sorry i haven't posted for a while, was busy with all this training :whistling:

So, yes it is my mobo, and yes, my friend has the same socket as me :help:

So what do i do? Do i take out his CPU and put it in instead of my cpu and see if my mobo loads into bios? And if it does, then the cpu is probably bad, if it doesn't, then the mobo is probably bad. But what if i wanted to check the processor as well? Do i just take it out and put it into his motherboard? And as well, see if it loads into bios?

I really hope that it is the mobo, because i might be able to exchange it or something, and it costs about $120 lesss than my core 2 duo E6600, and they do not exchange cpu's after packages are open anyways. Do you think it's the mobo or the cpu?

Also, could you please describe me the whole process of 'swapping', because my friend is coming over this weekend, probably with his computer with him, and i do not want to take responsibility for any damaged parts of his... I just want to check, and make sure, so that my computer works. I just hope that i do not damage any of his parts...

Therfore, i would be greatful if you could please describe in detail how this process is supposed to go, and what to look for and expect. So please, describe to me shortly what to do :blink:

Thank you very much in advance :help:

Pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
As long as you didn't overclock your motherboard will still be under warrenty so just RMA it

By swapping your CPU, it'd be the same as when you built it (didn't you) just take the heatsink/fan off the motherboard, "unlock" your CPU from the motherboard, remove it, then do everything I just said in reverse with your friends CPU.

If you didn't build it yourself, then look at all four edges, 1 of the 4 will be different on your CPU and motherboard, be sure that side goes into the similar side of the motherboard.

If this was unclear please let me know, I wrote this quickly inbetween classes at school :whistling:

James