Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Player Does Not See "New" Media

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi folks. Just recently had a problem come up that I cannot solve and neither can HP, so I thought I would try here.
I have a HP DVD Writer200j in my computer and have never had an issue with it. I basically just use it to play movies...store bought movies BTW. Anyhow, everything has been fine until the last two DVD's I have purchased at Circuit City. I bought "Spinal Tap" & "Pick Of Destiny" which are brand new DVD's. Well, the first one I tried was Spinal and I brought it home and put it in my DVD player and nothing! My DVD player would not even see it at all. After trying 5-6 times I flipped the DVD over and looked at the shiny disc part and to my horror I saw no burn marks (the grooves you regularly see) so I thought I got a bum DVD. So I took it back to Circuit City and they tell me that is normal now because DVD's are being encoded different and you won't see any lines or grooves...it will all look smooth like nothing is there. Anyhow, they took my disc and put it in all of their players and it worked just fine. they even put it in a computer and it worked. So they said the problem is on my end and would not exchange my DVD.

Well, when I got home I tested the DVD in my other two players and it did work, but when I tried it in the computer againit was a no go. Now wait...I know what you are thinking, but your wrong!The DVD player plays every single movie I have bought up until this point without a hitch...perfect...so now what? Only the two newest, supposivley encoded different DVD's wont work and this makes no sence to me.

I also went to live HP support and he said they have no firmware update for my DVD player and that is not their product that is at fault...he blames the DVD's which I tend to agree. Why would they code things so peoples players will not work? Hardly seems right.

Anyhow...does anyone have an idea of what is going on here and what I can do? Thanks

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Not sure what is going on but it could be some new kind of DRM feature.... I have heard fo some disks not working with burners but I thought that was games not installing but they coudl have extended that to movies I suppose....