Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP long boot times - a reason?

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have posted before on my system having a five minute boot time despite all sorts of cleanups, deletions, defrags etc.

Perhaps I've found a reason?

I reformatted a couple of days ago, reinstalled XP and SP2 and many of my programs. Boot time reduced to a minute or so.

However, I found I couldn't hibernate the machine, it always went to standby instead. Then I found a M$ file which said that with over 1GB of RAM, hibernation was impossible - so I ran the recommended utility to counter this - and my boot time is now back to 5 minutes! Not the "reboot" after hibernation, but the cold boot.

Fairly typical, I would say: the OS has a bug which prevents something working, a patch is installed and this affects something else!

XP Home, 3.2GHz P4, 2.5GB RAM

Edited by Wol, 30 April 2007 - 04:42 PM.

Advertisements