Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GRaphics Card update.

• Please log in to reply

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hello,

I'm wanting to upgrade my current graphics card to a more powerfull card that is around $300.
My current card ATI X1900XTX is fried 'cause of my recent virus I just dealt with in the past month.
I'm looking into buying a GeForce card and not ATI cause I dislike their services and products. I'm
looking at a 8800GTS by GeForce EVGA. Here is a link to this graphics card.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130082

I am wondering, will my 600W power supply be able to contain this beast? And is it a really good
top quality card to game with. I am also looking to see how lnog will this card last before I will have
to upgrade to a better card. This card is Dx10 compatible so that should hold me over for the new
Dx10 games that are going to be released soon. I was also told by a friend of mine that you need
a really good CPU to take advantage of the full powers of the 8800 , And I was wondering is my
E6400 Core 2 Duo CPU good enough to handle this card?!?

Thanks for your time,

Snippy

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's border line, but I wouldn't buy this card soly because it's DX10. We have yet to see benchmarks in DX10 from this card, it might turn out to be a flop.
Link to you power supply please.
Your processor should just get you buy so that it will not be a bottle neck.
If you can wait till the end of may, ATI is releasing a new set of DX10 cards, even if you don't want to buy their cards the competition will force prices down.
Seeing as we can't see any DX10 benchmarks, I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be forced to upgrade within a years time just so that you could get off of low-med settings.
Whats the resolution of your monitor? I have heard many people regretting not to have spend the extra 50$ or so for the 640mb version, but unless you monitor has high resolution I can't see this as being much of a problem.
James

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hey thanks for your reply ,

My monitor is @ 1240by1024 And I do not go at high resolution so thats not a problem.
And as far as the link to my PSU , newegg does not carry that item anymore or I can't find it.
And the lowest 640mb version is around $450 which is out of my spending league!! And I took
into account of the suggestions that you gave me, and did some research and it seems that ATI's cards
are hitting higher performance in games than the 8800, How much do you think these ATI dx10 cards
will be priced at and how much would the top card of the release be? And when is the expected release
date?

Edited by Snippy, 30 April 2007 - 05:58 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Im just curious how did a virus bust your old card? Also I agree with James, I think you gotta wait. I think both me and James are making our systems after may.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 30 April 2007 - 06:33 PM.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I don't know man,

Before I got the virus it was running fine. Now it's just horrible. I was told that
viruses can attack graphics cards. But I don't know. Something is wrong with it.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
There is a possible chance we could fix it but if you just want to get a new card then its up to you.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
How would we go about doing that? I was gonna send it into ATI for them to replace it.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
If they do it for free and it doesn't void your warranty then do it but I would just do a clean format as it takes away all virus and everything and then reinstall Windows. Can you see anything when you start the computer? Can you explain your condition?

Soorena

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I'm on the pc with the x1900xtx right now. It's not like my pc is running slow
or choppy or anything, it's normal everyday speed. But when I get in game
my fps is horrible.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There is no virus out there that can "destroy a graphics card". It may corrupt files at the worst. Like Soorena has said reinstall all drivers, ATI has just released Catalyst 7.4 last Thursday I believe, have you downloaded them? Also the low frame rates may be a result of something still being on your computer and affecting you CPU. Could you go over to the malware forum just to double check everything is cleaned off your computer. Sorry I didn't see that key sentence earlier, I swear I'm blind lately.
Also to answer your questions, ATI's DX10 cards will be priced the similarly as the 8800GTS 640mb and then downwards. There are going to be 10 cards released, including mobile and desktop GPU's. To add to what I have said, the ATI cards are rumored to be geared towards DX10 games and not so much DX9 games causing them to have slightly less performance on DX9 games but rebound and beat the [bleep] out of the 8800 series cards in DX10. Whether this is true, I'm not sure, no one will be till either AMD annouces it (wouldn't really believe them) or we get benchmarks to prove it. It is for this reason that I don't suggest anyone upgrade to DX10 cards if they already have a good working card, however if a card must be bought today then DX10 is adviseable since your not out anything even if it does under perform on DX10.
Thanx
James

Edit: Can you give me the model number of your PSU.

Edited by james_8970, 30 April 2007 - 08:01 PM.

Advertisements

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
ahh I see. Maybe I have under estimated those viruses. The thing is I can't reformat.
And I can't find my PSU model Number.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I just found something that may be causing my problem. My graphics card is running
@ 70Degrees C idle and around 85-90 when in game.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is a bit hot. GPU's are able to run much hotter than a CPU though. My 7800 GT claims that its slowdown threshold is 115C. Have you cleaned the cooler recently? Might want to apply new termal grease next time you clean it.

Edited by Titan8990, 01 May 2007 - 07:54 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
the temperatures are a way to high!
If a graphics card is working over 70oC(load), something needs to be looked at.

As titan said, blow out your cooler(compressed air). Try adding additional case fans. Next time game with the side panel off, see if things improve.
James

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Yeah thats my problem, I cleaned out the dust from my card and
Set up a fan and took off the side panel to the pc and pointed the
fan at the pc and It's running WAY cooler. Running
@ 50 C idle and 70 C in game, and my FPS are greatly higher. Thanks
for your help. And I'm gonna buy a new cooler for the card.

Is this a good pick? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835106090

Here is my current setup. Kinda funky :whistling:

Posted Image