Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help with new COmputer

• Please log in to reply

treashunter

treashunter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, i just bought a new Pc with windows vista installed on it, and on my old Pc, it only had about 35 prgs in task manager, and this one has about 72...and i know most of them are unneccesary, so i would just like to have some help cleaning it out.

Thanks in advance guys!

Advertisements

Gusterv10

Gusterv10

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have not tampered with Vista much yet, but I think you can still use the "MSconfig" app to remove programs from startup. Got "Start">>"Run" and type: MSconfig . Then click on the "startup" tab and disable whatever you don't want to run, which will probably be everything, since it's a new computer with abunch of trial crapware. I apologize in advanced if "MSconfig" isn't intergrated into Vista.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
JSKYS Vista Support Site

max-a-million

max-a-million

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
MSCONFIG is a good place to start

also try removing a heap of the unnecessary programs that have come installed with vista from the "add remove programs" wizard in the control panel.

however i would suggest that vista has alot more programs running in the background compared to XP, and if you have only recently set up your system, i can only imagine that most of them are necessary!

max-a-million