Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows update

• Please log in to reply

blindu

blindu

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey all!

i have XP and lately ive been having one major annoying issue with it. each time the comp is scheduled to run a windows update, my CPU is running at 100%. and it basically slows down everything, causing some programs to freeze and such. i have 1 GB of ram, and this problem has been occuring for about a few months. i have anti-spyware programs such as spybot and spy doctor (although its nto always running, but sometimes checks come clean), it seems that if i try to do a update, no matter if the comp does it or i go on the site to do it, svchost.exe starts going to about 101K KB and runs at 99% of my memory, which basically is stopping all other programs that are there. when i do that tho, i can see that waucult.exe is running as a subunit of svchost.exe(thats what process explorer shows me at least, on the task manager, it shows up separate, but there its not using any memory). do you guys have any idea how to fix this, cuz its very very annoying and i dont want to have a virus or anything. thanks a lot in advance!

Blindu

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What you see is annoying but normal. If you want to avoid this shut down windows Automatic Updates in Control Panel. To avoid the risk notification go to Security Center in control panel, click on Change The Way Security Centre Alerts me and uncheck Automatic Updates. Use Manual scanning once in a month or so to download new updates.