Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Runtime error 216 @ 00003AB0

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Baldacchino

Sharon Baldacchino

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
When I start-up my computer (Windows XP), I receive an error message:

Runtime error 216 @ 00003AB0

This started after my computer was formatted. I don't know if this could be the reason but each time I switch on my pc, I have to press F1 to resume and then the date and time are not correct which I have to amend continuously.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Sharon Baldacchino!

I don't know if this could be the reason but each time I switch on my pc, I have to press F1 to resume and then the date and time are not correct which I have to amend continuously.

This means that the CMOS battery on your motherboard is going south. You need to replace it. The CMOS battery is shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel. If your computer is a desktop PC, it is easy to locate by taking off the left side panel (left is as if you were looking at the front of the computer), and then you will be able to see the motherboard. There is usually a clip on the bottom that you can push in with your thumb and that will release the battery. Of course DO NOT do any of the above without first unplugging the power cord from the wall. Also, make sure your computer is not on a carpeted surface (or yourself for that matter) and that you touch a metal part of the inside of the case (not part of the motherboard or any other component of the computer) before touching any part of the motherboard or other computer components.

You can pick up a CMOS battery at any local computer store or online. They are not that expensive. Doing the above should get rid of the 2nd part of your problem. We can work on the first part if it still remains after you do what I suggested you do above.

Fenor