Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HARD DRIVE ISSUE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

budski

budski

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello - I am really going nuts trying to sort this one out and haven't been able to use my own computer for months now! I would be SO GRATEFUL if anyone could help and would happily make a donation. PLEASE CAN YOU HELP????

this is what I originally posted:

"
Hello, and thanks for reading what I'm about to write.......

I had various issues with my Dell Dimension 9100, so I decided my only course of action was to format the hard drive and reinstall windows xp.

In my supreme idiocy, I think I didn't actually format the hard drive, but did something else. As the computer was booting up, I hit I think F12 or maybe F8 or even F4? I then selected 'delete RAID volume', I think. I thought this was the same as formatting, because it said all data will be erased, so I thought that's what I wanted to do.

Anyway, now when I put the Windows XP cd in and boot up, it starts to go through the screens which I think come before installation, and seems to be working, until it says 'starting windows' at the bottom of the screen.

A blue screen error then appears on the screen. I cannot see all of it as the first word or so on the left of the screen is off the edge of the screen, but this is the gist of it:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent harm to your computer...

If this is the first time you've seen this error screen....

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space...

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates...

Technical information:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005,0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)

pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, Datestamp 3b7d855c"

The system is then stuck on that blue screen.

I really have no idea what is going on at all - can anyone help? I would be very very grateful as I have only had my computer for around a year, and can't afford to replace it. Many, many thanks.
"

Now the following was suggested to me:

"It looks to me as if Dell uses an SP2 slipstreamed copy of XP Home therefore I'm going to create an XP Pro CD with SP2 intgegrated into it and try that to see if a later version of the 'pci.sys' file solves the problem. "

and also

"I think that what you need is a SATA hard disk installation driver. Open the box and find out what make and model your hard disk is. Go to the manufacturer's site and download the driver into a floppy. When installing xp you will get an option, almost at the beginning, to press F6 to install sata or raid drivers. Press F6, Insert the floppy and continue the process.

To the best of my knowledge this can be done only with a floopy. In case you need further help please write down the exact details of the hard disk. "

My problem is I have no idea where to find such a driver.

I think I'm probably being pretty dumb here, but I really can't find the drivers I need. I have a sloppy drive ready for action, so if you could give me a little bit of help finding them I'd be very grateful. I can't find them anywhere on the Seagate website.
This is my hard drive:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (photo attached)

I have two of them in my computer.

Can you help? Many, many thanks. I would be so grateful!!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• hard_drive.JPG

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Closing Duplicate Topic. Original Post can be found HERE.