Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp time wont sync

• Please log in to reply

timmy999999

timmy999999

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, im having problems with my xp time.
Whenever i start my computer aparently its 1st of january 2003... And when i go to sync it under the "internet time" tab of the computer clock it ALWAYS fails. I have read an aritical and have tried
net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /register
net start w32time
in cmd.exe lol.

Any help is thanked.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's likely the little CMOS battery needs to be replaced. It's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel. Be careful removing it and observe polarity when replacing it. You will likely need to go into BIOS setup to set the time again, then maybe have to reset it in Windows too.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows time will not sync when the system time is more than a month out from the correct time. Therefore it will not correct itself when the system has gone back to 2003 because the CMOS battery is dead/dying.

timmy999999

timmy999999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok thankyou, im getting a new computer anyway so i wont bother fixing this lol.