Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question About Networking Quickbooks

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with some questions about networking Quickbooks. I just purshaced the newest verions, and what I'm trying to do is set up a company file on my home PC, and I want to be able to access the company file (that will be on my home PC) from a remote locations. I was wondering how I would go about doing that, and if I do need a server or if I might be able to use remote desktop connection or something. I was hoping somone might be able to help me out. I would really appreciate the help. Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Programs such as pcAnywhere can do it provided a broadband connection is available on both ends and a router that allows port forwarding is available. No server needed.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Programs such as pcAnywhere can do it provided a broadband connection is available on both ends and a router that allows port forwarding is available. No server needed.

So pcanywhere will kind of act as a remote destop connection? is that correct. If so where do I go about getting a program like that and how do I set it up? Thank you for the help I really appreciate it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pcanywhere allows you to control another PC (with PCAnywhere on it, obviously) from anywhere else in the world over a decent speed internet connection. Even a "slow" 512k connection is more than enough. What you see in PCAnywhere is the screen of the computer you're controlling as if you were sitting there in person. While it's possible to upset other people by claiming said computer is haunted (in reality being controlled by somebody else), people with higher levels of maturity can use it to work from home with access to office resources.

Unfortunately this program is not cheap - $200 - and I'm not aware of any other similiar program for a lower price.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Pcanywhere allows you to control another PC (with PCAnywhere on it, obviously) from anywhere else in the world over a decent speed internet connection. Even a "slow" 512k connection is more than enough. What you see in PCAnywhere is the screen of the computer you're controlling as if you were sitting there in person. While it's possible to upset other people by claiming said computer is haunted (in reality being controlled by somebody else), people with higher levels of maturity can use it to work from home with access to office resources.

Unfortunately this program is not cheap - $200 - and I'm not aware of any other similiar program for a lower price.

Alright thanks I appreciate the advice. Are you certain that it will allow me to work Quickbooks with that program? I know I have had problems before Quickbooks with similiar situations. I just don't want to spend $200 on a program and then find out that it doesnt work with Quickbooks. Thanks again I really appreciate the info.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wade...don't start another topic about this while someone is already answering your questions

with PC anywhere or VNC or any other remote connection utility...the program you're wanting to run on the "Host" computer is irrellevant. any remote connection software allows you to run software on the host as if you were sitting in front of the pc

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

wade...don't start another topic about this while someone is already answering your questions

with PC anywhere or VNC or any other remote connection utility...the program you're wanting to run on the "Host" computer is irrellevant. any remote connection software allows you to run software on the host as if you were sitting in front of the pc

Sorry about that. I actually started another one becasue I wanted to know what program was the better one of the two or if there was any others that were even better. I apologize for that. What exactly is VNC, can you explain please. Also how complicated is it to implement these programs. Thank You.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
VNC is a free program that gives you screen access to a PC that has VNC server installed on it (google VNC)...there are methods for using it remotely that basically involve port forwarding on your router and having a static ip or using a service like www.dyndns.org to get a domain name mapped to your public ip address so that you can connect from outside

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

VNC is a free program that gives you screen access to a PC that has VNC server installed on it (google VNC)...there are methods for using it remotely that basically involve port forwarding on your router and having a static ip or using a service like www.dyndns.org to get a domain name mapped to your public ip address so that you can connect from outside

Thanks dsnenette. I appreciate the advice. Personally what woud you perfer VNC or either of the other to programs (gotomypc or pcanywhere). Thanks and once I do apologize for starting another thread with a similiar topic. Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...from my knowledge ot the setups it depends on how comfortable you are with settiing stuff up in your router etc...

i THINK that PCanywhere requires little to no setup...all you need is to have access to the internet on the host pc and have PCanywhere running....assuming that you make the proper rules in your firewall...the connection is pretty much there...you would probably still need either a static ip address or use dyndns.org as i suggested

with VNC i think you'd actually need to get into port forwarding and some other fun stuff that isn't that hard but could get confusing...you'd still need a static ip or dyndns.org here as well

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Also, if your "host" system is Windows XP Professional, you can take control using Remote Desktop. The client side is a free download from Microsoft, so you can use it on any system.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Remote Desktop may not be a option for your situation... I've only ever used it to take control of my office PC from home. The office IP address has always been static.

However, if you do have a static IP, Remote Desktop would be worth investigating.