Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard will not work on PC

• Please log in to reply

MRM4

MRM4

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Here's an unusual problem we have came across.

We have an office with computers that are networked. Sometime last Thursday, one PC that has our tape backup system in it was running and either had a power glitch or the power flickered while the tape was backing up our files. The next morning the tape was stuck, but we were able to finally get it removed. Shortly after that, the video card stopped working. We installed another card, then discovered the other video card did work in another PC.

After all of that, the keyboard stopped working after a reboot. We have plugged all kinds of keyboards into it and cannot get one to work. I even tried a USB keyboard and it didn't work either. Because we have to use the crtl+alt+del to log onto the network and finish booting the PC, we cannot do any updates or repairs to resolve the problem.

We are suspecting there is something wrong with the motherboard or something was reset in BIOS during the reboot. Anyone ever come across this or know how to fix this problem?

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I agree about motherboard being most likely issue (BIOS could be it).

Dumb question, have you tried a USB keyboard? I assume you were using PS/2 style before....

Have you tried to boot with a CD... (if it's windows that's hosed) not sure if there is any way to bypass the crtl+alt+del to get to windows.

Do you have a floppy drive (for BIOS upgrade/ or boot from and see if keyboard works there?)

Any remote access tools set up on server?

I know nothing but rambling here. Sorry. Home something I said sparks a thought/solution.

MRM4

MRM4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
We tried both types of keyboards, neither worked.

I do have a BIOS upgrade. I'll put that on a disk and see what that does for me.

Zantor Zenodex

Zantor Zenodex

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recommend using a diagnostic procedure.
Look to make sure the keyboard's plugged in, that it works and isn't fried, and so on. If you are using a USB keyboard, make sure you have your BIOS set to support such devices. Make sure the port (USB or PS/2) isn't fried. If so, get an RMA for your motherboard if it's new. Also, PS/2 is NOT hot swappable, but USB IS.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G. MRM4

Couple of points :
1. A USB keyboard will no function outside of Windows (i.e before Windows has loaded) unless Legacy USB function is enabled in the bios. (As you can't get into the bios without a keyboard, this isn't much help!). You could reset the bios to default values by using the Clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard, or by pulling the bios battery, (power must be completely disconnected in both cases) but this won't necessarily help, as the default setting for legacy USB may be 'disabled'.

2. If you haven't already done so, check the PS/2 keyboard hasn't got any bent pins in the PS/2 connector or try a different PS2 keyboard.

3. If a known working PS2 keyboard doesn't work on this computer either, then the chances are the PS2 port or keyboard controller is blown.

MRM4

MRM4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Clearing the CMOS worked. The keyboard does work now. A previous problem with the AGP video card still does not work, that had been on it for some time. The card works, we tried it in another machine. So we're going with the PCI card for now since it works. Thanks for the help.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
GREAT!!! glad to hear it's working.

I'd setup legacy support for that USB as Samm mentioned (so you don't get stuck again).