Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't open word or office - what have I done?

• Please log in to reply

clue*less

clue*less

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I was making space on my harddisk and following advice, I deleted restore points. I also deleted a lot of stuff other old files etc. and now word, excel and microsoft office 2003 pro, will not open. I am really afraid of losing data - a lot of recent excel stuff that took hours of work, really important emails for my work. Please help - I'm truly clueless...

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
step one, find the files you MAY want to keep. If you're not sure keep them. Store those onto another place. (2nd hard drive, memory stick, use g-mail or yahoo account and e-mail them to the same account) whatever just store those files.

for step 2 you will need your office CD. reinstall (actually do the repair install).

step 3 you said

I was making space on my harddisk and following advice, I deleted restore points. I also deleted a lot of stuff other old files etc

print out or write down that advice..... (if the repair of office doesn't work we will need it) and NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!

clue*less

clue*less

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for your answer! But the problem is, I cannot open word, my mail or excel - they do kind of open but then start being installed so I cannot access the mail to send it or save it - same with word and excel. So I am afraid to reinstall Office until I can somehow secure my work and mail....
Is there anything I can do to save this stuff without being able to access?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi clue*less. Doing a repair installation on Office will not affect your files in any way.

1. In normal situations, Word and Excel document files are saved to the User's My Documents folder. If you know for a fact that your files are saved somewhere else, are they saved under Program Files\Microsoft Office? If not, you're fine.

2. Outlook stores its data in a PST file (in most cases). This file will not be affected even if you uninstall Outlook. The only exception is IF you delete it from its normal location of C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. If you're worried, browse to that folder (it's hidden, so you may have to enable "Show Hidden Files/Folders" in My Computer, Tools Menu, View tab), and copy the PST file(s) out to your desktop as a backup.

3. Word and Excel startup templates. If you've done a lot of customization to Word's normal.dot file or Excel's excel##.xlb file, you may want to copy them out to your desktop also. Here are the normal locations:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates <= this is where my normal.dot resides (I have Office 2003 and WXP)
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE##\STARTUP <= this is where my add-in templates reside
C:\My Documents\Templates (or Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents)
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART (or maybe just in Excel)
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE##\XLSTART

So, open Add/Remove Programs, scroll to Microsoft Office, click Change, Reinstall or Repair, then Detect and Repair. If that doesn't work, try Reinstall. If that doesn't work, uninstall Office, reboot the computer, and reinstall it.

Good luck!

clue*less

clue*less

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for your help! I now have everything saved on a USB stick but I couldn't uninstall Office so I reinstalled it anyway but I am now getting the message "preparing to install" and still excel, etc won't open up... another problem it seems. Would appreciate any help! Thanks though, at least i know my work is safe

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What error message did you get when you tried to uninstall?