Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot hang @ gagp30kx.sys

• Please log in to reply

mjcntn

mjcntn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all,

This morning my computer would not boot up, boot to safe mode, etc. Each time the the boot sequence hangs at c:\windows\system32\drivers\gagp30kx.sys.

I am able to start the Recovery console with my winxp cd-rom, however, when attempting to use the repair, im simply presented with the "c:\" command prompt. I was under the impression that i should be asked which installation i wanted to repair, or at least end up with "c:\windows>" as a starting point.

After getting nowhere with the recovery console (following advice found on this messageboard, I ran both fixmbr and fixboot commands from c:\ prompt... still hangs @ gagp30kx.sys) i tried to use the XP setup to "set up winxp now" by pressing enter.

This takes me to the license - agree - to "the following list shows the existing partitions..." - to set up winxp on the selected item, press ENTER;

In the boxed in section it reads,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unknown Disk
(there is no disk in this drive.)
39198 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [Unknown] 39190 MB ( 39189 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what has me thinking this is a larger problem than renaming the gagp30kx.sys file. Has the hard drive been corrupted, and is formatting and reinstalling my only option?

I just thought i'd post this in case there was a way to save some time (and files), and get back my old setup.

Thanks for any advice!

- Mike

>> ive been following thread; http://www.geekstogo...hp/t119053.html

Edited by mjcntn, 01 May 2007 - 11:52 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get a repair option?

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

mjcntn

mjcntn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, this is what i was trying to get done, however, there is no listed Windows XP installation to choose from. The windows installer is reading the hard drive as if there was nothing installed on it at all, no partitions and no used space. Any thoughts?

- would changing my boot order like you suggested do anything specific? I can already boot from the cd drive, and get to the repair console or xp setup??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is shown as possibly, no need to do anything if it already boots from the CD

Go with recovery console and type chkdsk /r at the command prompt

mjcntn

mjcntn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
okay, typed command chkdsk /r and this is the result;

-------------------------

c:\>chkdsk /r
CHKDSK is checking the volume...
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recover...
75% completed.
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

C:\>

----------------------

Toast?
Any other thoughts??

Edited by mjcntn, 01 May 2007 - 04:03 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have the option to put this hard drive in another PC as a slave drive to check for data?

http://www.askbobran...hard_drive.html

You could run chkdsk /r to see if it does any better

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

work_it_work

work_it_work

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone!

I created an account here just to leave this post.

First of all thanks for everyone who posted here, it was very helpull, and beside of this i would like to share my experience. Who knows, it may be
helpfull to others too.

The ERROR: Each time the the boot sequence hangs at c:\windows\system32\drivers\gagp30kx.sys.
Can't do safe mode, last good known config or normal start sad.gif every time it reboots

So here is what i did after reading the prev posts:

1. I got the rc.iso file and burned to an empty cd using nero > burn image to disk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso
2. Put the CD into the CD-Rom of the damaged coputer, go to BIOS and change first boot drive to CD-Rom, save and exit.
3. The computer restarts and ask to boot from CD-Rom, hit any key and starts to boot.
4. Once the computer is booted from CD, it ask to press "R" for recovery "ENTER" to install windows, "F3" to exit. Hir "R" and wait for the computer to load the settings. At some point you will see a highlited menu in the lower part of the screen, then press 1 (usualy)
5. Wait a few seconds, and you will be promted to Command promt, so you wll get something like this "c:\windows>" or "c:\>". In my case i was prompted to "c:\>" and i tried to see the content of the drive "c" using command: "DIR" so i got an error.
6. At this point i tought a "CHKDSK" will be helpful so i typed: "CHKDSK /R" and it starts to check the disk.
looks like this:
c:\>chkdsk /r
CHKDSK is checking the volume...
75% completed.
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

C:\>

7. Once the check is complete, it will return with a check sumary, usualy it says something was fixed. After that type again "DIR" to see the content of the drive "C" if ths works you myght be lucky.
8. Try to go to the windows directory by this command: "cd windows" don't get scared if you get an answer like this "Access Denied", i got it too bt it doesn't matter.
9. Type EXIT, you machine will restart.
10. Enter BIOS and change back the first boot drive to HDD (this is optional, anyway the computer boot from HDD if the CD-ROm is empty)
11. Take out the CD from CD-Rom
12. When computer starts you will be prompted again to chose : Safe Mode, + command + network, Last good know config, and start normaly. Try to start it in safe mode first, if you reach the safe mode screen even if you can't login because of admin password, restart the computer and go to normal mode. VOILA it worked for me it myght work for you too.

Have fun and hope my tutorial helps you.

SRY 4 my english... it's not the best biggrin.gif

Thanks to gerryf who shared the rc.iso file!!!

PS: Don't know what was the cause, but i myght have an ideea. When i shut down the computer it installs the new updates, so i guess it installed a new driver for video card or chipset. Anyway it myght be from the HDD too... If you have any ideea just post here, i'm curious biggrin.gif

PunkyFeople

PunkyFeople

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I joined simply to give the solution I found. I had the same issue, hanging at gagp30kx etc. etc. Tried it all, ubuntu, puppy, other computers, etc. etc.

The problem turned out to be the one thing I overlooked for a while... the main drive (C: drive) was full. Windows must have room to write to the registry at all times, if drive C is full then windows can't boot.

I used ubuntu, cleaned the drive of some waste and boom, I have a start button in the lower right corner now.

Try this before you go into the more complex recommendations above. Not that this will always be the solution but considering it is easy and less invasive, give this one a shot first.

Happy Computing.

Thanks,
Derek Rayburn
Geek of 30 years.