Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware monitoring

• Please log in to reply

Zantor Zenodex

Zantor Zenodex

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, all. I run a game server, and have become concerned with temperatures--more particularly, the CPU core temperature--now that the season has warmed up. The server is custom built with a good old AMD K6-2 500 MHz.

Whenever I open SpeedFan to probe the SMBus (System Management Bus) to get temperature readings, the program cannot get into the SMBus controller to ascertain the data. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-5AX, with an ALi chipset. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, and/or feedback? Though I am well versed in the workings of computers, this is one portion I am not familiar with.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This will be a chipset limitation issue, nothing you can do with it.
Best idea would be to submit an issue on the Speedfan website and get it reported but as its such an old board and Speedfan such a new program there's no guarantee any support would be coming. If you're running Windows 98 on it, this version of Windows does not support SMBus Controllers.

Zantor Zenodex

Zantor Zenodex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have windows xp professional on it. Also, I have gotten SpeedFan to read the SMBus on my previous motherboard of my main machine several months ago in windows 98SE before I upgraded to my current board.