Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

administrator password?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

girryman

girryman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
need help my chics laptop shes had some problems with it recently and, her father gave it to a friend to have a look, now it starts up fine and she gets to a blue microsoft windows screen (click on your name to start, the only problem is that now her name doesnt appear so she cant enter her password the only name that appears is (administrator) we have tried her passwrod from bfore which doesnt work as the user now is administrator, i know that when there are problems with a pc or laptop and you use the cd to recoperate systen errors that it asks for the administrators password but its not needed. my question is is there anyway around this and what has the friend done for this to happen, i have used this forum severl times and thanks to you guys always got things solved. cheers

just got somme new info on this topics from my chic, the friend that tried reparing the laptop said he couldnt so she needs to take it to a destributor of (ACER the make) maybe this is why its asking for the administrators password but surly when she bought the laptop they would have given her some info on this if this situation happens, as i said before all seems to be working ok until the point where it asks for the admin password! if the case is that she has too take to a dealer of acer then i think the best is just to reinstall windows no? thanks again for your time, by the way please let wannabe1 know that the help that was given last time was great.

Edited by Fenor, 02 May 2007 - 06:43 AM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi girryman.

It is against the ToS of GeeksToGo to help with the bypassing of ANY kind of password. Though your intentions might be genuine, others who find this topic might have intentions that are not so genuine, and therefore we are erring on the side of caution when it comes to these types of situations.

Having said that, your best bet is to contact the person who did the recent repairs. Without additional information, I don't know what the problem was or what the repair person did. Since the Welcome Screen no longer shows your specific User Account, you could try pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL to activate the classic log-in shell. At this screen, type in your user name and password and see if that allows you in.

If you have the system restore disks, you can reinstall the operating system and set the computer back to original specs. This will wipe out all personal data from the hard drive though.

I will close this topic shortly.

Good luck.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok thanks for your advice i thought it might be a bit dodgy asking about this even though my intetions are good, i will try to restore to old user, if not i´ll reinstall windows, thanks once again for your time and effort
at what stage should i pres ctrl-alt-delete? on star up? thanks and bye

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You can press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the Welcome Screen. It should open a classic Windows Log-In screen where you have to enter your User Name and Password.