Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

home network XP computer problem

• Please log in to reply

bobwesson

bobwesson

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I cannot read my shared files on my home network ME computer from my XP computer. I can read the shared files on the XP computer from the ME computer. I also can access the Internet from both. I am using a D-Link DI-704 gateway. It did not help to disable the firewalls on both computers. The ME computer shows up as a work group computer on the XP computer but when I click on it, it gives a message saying I do not have access permission.

Advertisements

azreal

azreal

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
for my home network i use NetBIOS.
iyou could try useing that for your home network, you kow how to do this right?

view your connections--goto properties, on your NIC card--and add a new protocal, called NWLink NetBIOS.

and do this with boh your omputers and it shoud be fine.dont worry about theother things it dds when you install his protocol they are needed to amintain the network. You can use a number, fothe network if you open the preferences for NetBIOS but its not needed not setting one will jut mean you dont have to remember it.

hoepp this helps, and of corse there could always be bettr info for you from someone esle so if this dont work ont give up, in the morning someone will be here to help you.

bobwesson

bobwesson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I added the nwlink netbios on my XP computer but the ME computer did not give that as a choice under protocol. I selected the network icon under control panel and tried to add a new protocol but the nwlink netbios was not one of the choices.

azreal

azreal

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
darn didnt kno ME didnt have that as an option. wish i could be of more hlep to you but, i dont kno, if i think of anythign ill be fure to post somethign for you.

bobwesson

bobwesson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My network now works both ways. The only thing I did was update Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 and allowed Windows Media Player access to finding album info from Internet. Go figure. Thanks for the help.