Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Delete a file (PLEASE HELP)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Asakura

Asakura

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
;) ;) :) The folder im trying to delete is on my desktop,
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR00.313,
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR00.344,
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR01.016,
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR01.953.

It is empty, but I cant delete it. I've tried CMD, CMD loop, no-explorer cmd, no-explorer cmd loop, Pocket Killbox, Boot and Move or whatever its called, EVERYTHING. It has a square box in the Read-Only box, and if I take it off, apply, and ok, it puts it back on.
Please dont refer me to another site, I've read all of the geekish forums. And I can't say I'm not a shame to the geeks.

I was thinking about reformatting, but thanks to the wonderful Dells, I don't have an XP disc. Thanks for pre-installing Dell!

Any :tazz: would be appreciated.

Advertisements

azreal

azreal

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
have you tried booting in Safe Mode, and deleting it there?

and if that doesnt work do you know how to use Dos, and its more common commands? if so you can downoad a 98 boot disk boot it and walk your self through the directoris to the file and delete it.

Asakura

Asakura

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

have you tried booting in Safe Mode, and deleting it there?

and if that doesnt work do you know how to use Dos, and its more common commands? if so you can downoad a 98 boot disk boot it and walk your self through the directoris to the file and delete it.

View Post

Im sorry for sounding rude, but did you even read my post? I said I tried EVERYTHING
including CMD, CMD Loops such as

:loop
CD "C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings"
attrib -s -h -a -r Temp /s
CD "C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\"
RD (the first RAR$ DIR)
RD (the second RAR$ DIR)
RD (the third RAR$ DIR)
RD (the fourth RAR$ DIR)
goto loop

if i know how to do that, I can use Dos, and its more common commands.

I tried using a boot disk, nothing.

azreal

azreal

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok well the only other thing i can think of is connect ur HDD to another comp as a slave and del it from the other windows, make sure its running norton or something so that those files dont get activated before you get rid of em.

and sorry i thought you were talking about Windows CMD Prompt, im sorry also if it seems i make mistakes, im usein a KVM switch that sometimes make the buttons i push not register in Win.

so you have a dell, you dont really have a problem i you format it. you could borrow a friend of yours installation cd for the exact same OS. Just as long as you use your cd key off your case its fine, the only trouble you might have are findig some of the drivers.

Asakura

Asakura

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
bump.. i want a way w/o reformat or hooking up to another box. I have no other box, no XP cd, no friend with an XP cd, and my sis has music she wont delete.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

this is not on your desktop according to your file path.

When you try to delete the normal way, you get an error message. It is, what?

Cannot delete
Cannot find
File is in use????

Asakura

Asakura

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it is on my desktop, and that (you posted) is one of the other four places the exact same folder is stored.

Cannot remove Folder: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not in use.

Edited by Asakura, 08 April 2005 - 04:39 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Pro or Home

You've got the same location listed four times in your original post.

Asakura

Asakura

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
home. and geez, this is annoying me, wont people look closer at posts? like maybe actually read them?

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
You know you sound aweful arrogant and stuckup to be asking for help. CMD can be opened many different ways. in windows itself . safemode. and command prompt. I suggest you be a little more careful when asking for help. humility goes a long way. I discovered this from personal experience. just something you need to think about........ anyway here you go.........................

Ok go to the file right click it --> properties --> make the file read only.

Also since its a temp file its normally cookies and ect..
so open your internet properties --> and delete temporary internet files. delete cookies. and clear history.

Disable everything within your startup.

Restart your computer. With everything in startup disabled. Change to "normal Startup" if you have to.

When you have finished rebooting. try to delete it. If it still won't let you then open cmd.

del /f

/f is a force delete of read only files. which is what is now is because you changed it.

Also. make sure that it is not marked as a system file.

let us know if it still does not delete.

:tazz: The Lightninghawk

Edited by Lightninghawk, 08 April 2005 - 07:23 PM.

Asakura

Asakura

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
when i try and make it read only, it appears to work, but when I go back to the files properties, its a green box in the Read Only spot. Is this ok?

::EDIT:: Also, the del /f only works for files right? I'm trying to delete 5 folders, sorry if I didn't mention it.

Also, If i'm using mozilla, do i delete the stuff there too?

thanks

Edited by Asakura, 08 April 2005 - 07:52 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

home. and geez, this is annoying me, wont people look closer at posts? like maybe actually read them?

View Post

You know, you're an idiot. Maybe you should learn how to write them

You never mentioned Home, you listed the same folder four times and none of them were on your desktop....and then you say it's on your desktop

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you just cannot communicate well?

I asked you for clarification because I am trying to help you delete something that you screwed up...but since you're too freaking busy to answer a few question you can take your computer to a shop and let them charge you $50.

I'm done with you.

Asakura

Asakura

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

;)  ;)  :)  The folder im trying to delete is on my desktop,
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR00.344,
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR01.016,
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR01.953.

It is empty, but I cant delete it. I've tried CMD, CMD loop, no-explorer cmd, no-explorer cmd loop, Pocket Killbox, Boot and Move or whatever its called, EVERYTHING. It has a square box in the Read-Only box, and if I take it off, apply, and ok, it puts it back on.
Please dont refer me to another site, I've read all of the geekish forums. And I can't say I'm not a shame to the geeks.

I was thinking about reformatting, but thanks to the wonderful Dells, I don't have an XP disc. Thanks for pre-installing Dell!

Any  :tazz: would be appreciated.

View Post

hello!? don't call me an idiot when you treat me like a "n00b" just because I have 1 posts and write a confusing post (according to you). could you please LOOK CLOSER in my post? It says

The folder im trying to delete is on my desktop, <the comma, meaning more
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR00.313, <---------- NOTE THESE, and comma
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR00.344,<-- comma
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR01.016,<-- comma
C:\Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DR01.953.<-- period, meaning end of list.

see the numbers at the end?! they arent the same!

You know, you're an idiot. Maybe you should learn how to write them
I know how to write just fine. Maybe you should learn how to read them

You never mentioned Home, you listed the same folder four times and none of them were on your desktop....and then you say it's on your desktop
2 of my posts ago, I said "home." and if you could read, I did not list it 4 times.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you just cannot communicate well?
Did it ever occur to you that maybe you just cannot read well?

I asked you for clarification because I am trying to help you delete something that you screwed up...but since you're too freaking busy to answer a few question you can take your computer to a shop and let them charge you $50.
I answered all your questions.

I'm done with you.
I'm done with you too. Baka.

THANK YOU.

[removed]

Edited by admin, 09 April 2005 - 01:46 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I won't stand for that attitude or language on this site. Good luck with your problem, but you'll have to take it elsewhere.

Topic closed. Member banned.