Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't restore XP

• Please log in to reply

sinnerboy

sinnerboy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed Regseeker on xp sp2 to clean up my registry and after making backups with the program and a system restore point I cleaned up the registry. After the clean up I have problems with windows media player 11 in that it won't play dvds, music files are ok. When I start up my computer the log on music is also all scratchy and skipping. I tried restoring the deleted reg entries with regseeker backup and it restored all the entries except some green entries. I get an error "can't acess the registry" when I try to merge them back in. I also tried restoring my computer to earlier dates but it won't restore. Can anyone please help me with this problem.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You probably already know this, but WMP can't play DVD-movies without an MPEG-2 plugin, or a third party dvd player applications like WinDVD.
Cheapest option is the plugin: http://www.microsoft...aspx#DVDDecoder

sinnerboy

sinnerboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for responding pip22. I was able to play mpeg-2 files with WMP until I cleaned the reg. I don't know if I have deleted the plugin, I have Windvd and that will play the dvd's but the picture is jumpy and the sound is scratchy and it skips. Same thing when I connect to the internet, I use dial up and when it's connecting the dialing tone does the same. Would you or anyone out there have any more ideas on what the problem might be or any ideas as to how I can get my computer to restore or why it won't restore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks