Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop icons

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Baldacchino

Sharon Baldacchino

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi there,

Has anyone an idea please of how to change the desktop icons font in Windows XP? I changed my wallpaper, which has a whitish colour but the font colour is not that clear? Is there a solution for this please?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
On your desktop, right-click on your wallpaper, and select 'properties' from the context menu. Then select the Appearance tab, and click on the Advanced button to open up a new box called Advanced Appearance. From here, you can customise just about any feature you like. To change the font, select Icon from the Item drop-down menu, and change away.

Sharon Baldacchino

Sharon Baldacchino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for your prompt reply, but I want to change the font colour, and when I did what you suggested, unfortunately the colour is greyed and I can't do a selection.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Sharon.

When you change wallpapers, does the icon font color not change automatically? I've set mine to no wallpaper, and the icon font is black. Then I changed it to an image I had of a tropical scene (my avatar actually), and the font color changed to white.

With your whitish wallpaper, what color is the icon font?

Sharon Baldacchino

Sharon Baldacchino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Its white as well. :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay. Just to confirm, change your Desktop background to "none" and change the color to White. Click Apply. Did the icon font color change to black?

Sharon Baldacchino

Sharon Baldacchino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did what you just told me and yes it did turn to black.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
In WinXP the Icons font color is dependent on the desktop background color.

Right click the Desktop and click Properties. Select the Desktop tab and change the Color: to a lighter shade such as White.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
A work-around:

First, turn off Drop Shadows. Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance/Settings. Scroll to "Use Drop Shadows" and uncheck it. Apply.

Now go back to Desktop Properties and change the Background image to whatever you want and the Backgroun color to white. Apply. If your wallpaper is whitish, this should make your icon text black inside a white box.

Sharon Baldacchino

Sharon Baldacchino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks a lot Linda. It did work. :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Excellent :whistling:

Now you can experiment with custom colors for the background, to better match any wallpaper you choose.