Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Here's a doozie for you

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
This is probably the first time I have ever been clueless as to where I would start fixing a problem with my computer...It happened late last night, and I havent even attempted anything other than running scannow (without a windows disk) But this is what happened.

I was trying to scan a picture with the scanner/camera wizard, all of a sudden explorer starts flickering, and my PC reboots. I am greeted with my logon screen, but any account I try makes me re-activate windows before logging on...so I re activate, and when I get it booted up I am stuck in the classic theme, I have no connection settings so I am offline, My device manager is empty, and I am thoroughly pissed off. I plan on running Scannow again when I get home, because without the disk it said there were some .dlls missing, I am also going to try a repair on windows with a borrowed disk.

If I can't fix it, I plan on backing it up and reloading windows...3+ years of tweaks, downloads, programs, etc down the drain...if you have any ideas, please let me know.

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
System Restore? (I know it sometimes fails to restore, but worth a try).