Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Okay so Im getting my new comp soon. Finally. And I know Im going to be overclocking and Im buying Corair XMS ram. And I was wondering if buying the Corsair RAM fan was worth the extra 20 bucks. I know it works with all types of RAM because people says that it does on the reviews, I was just wondering if it covers over all of the RAM or its for one RAM. I was also going to get copper RAM heatsinks and I was wondering how you would put them on RAM, and also I may overclock my video card and was wondering if I can put them on video cards and how. I am probably going to get the new ATI video card when it comes out so iy may be hard to answer. Anyways just want to know if that stuff is worth the extra cash. Thanks.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you plan on overclocking the video card, the new ATI card will probably be your best bet, it's said to have alot of overclocking headroom, though we have yet to see if that is true.
If you plan on overclocking your ram alot, I'd buy a cooler, heat is the main reason for shorter lifespan after overclocking and for 20$ what are you out. But, if you have a limited budget your better off spending more on a CPU cooler. Also be sure your ram is at least clocked at 800MHz.
Can you give me a link to this RAM fan?
Also no your don't place this on video cards, you already have a fan on video cards. It's primary job is to cooler down the memory on the video card.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Ya that's what I meant the video card RAM. Here's the cooler, Corsair Ram Cooler. People say that it works with any RAM not just the Dominator RAM. I was just wondering if it goes over all of the RAM. Thanks.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
since the fan width is 4cm, it'd only cool two pieces of ram side by side. I don't think this would work on any other ram, if you look closely at the picture it looks as if it clips onto the ram itself.
James'

Edit: click here You can see the groves in the memory in which this fan would clip in, I'm not overly confident that it'd work on just any kind of ram.

Edited by james_8970, 02 May 2007 - 05:58 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
People in the reviews said that it clips onto something else. And that it should work with most RAM. Here "Because of its size and the fact that it clips to the memory slots on the motherboard and not the RAM itself, it will work with a variety of RAM. For this same reason it might not fit if you have a big CPU heatsink. It uses a 3 pin power connector not a molex 4 pin." Okay so I'm getting 3 sticks of RAM so I would need 2 so it would cool all 3. But I was wondering. Im getting a Zalman CNPS9500 CPU fan and I was wondering if it's too big and that the fans will fit. If not will just getting Ramsinks do a good job too for overclocking. Or will this fan help a lot more. Im getting both anyway.

Edit: one review says it's big and will fit over 4 sticks.

Edited by Drumbum667, 02 May 2007 - 06:53 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I wouldn't just because of that fan, clearance issues. But it's only worth 20$ so your not really out anything if it doesn't work. I'm still sceptical on how it'd latch on. There are also a lot of people just putting on copper heatsinks. With your CPU fan you plan on buying, blowing overtop them it'd probably work well with no worries or clearance issues.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 May 2007 - 07:13 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I kind of dont understand your post. I dont get the first sentence. So your saying that I should get it and that I shouldnt have any clearance issues with that fan. If Im getting this should I get the heatsinks. Ill probably get them and put them on and put it on the video card's RAM too.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sorry I think you may have clearance issues with your CPU fan and the ram fan. You can buy ram copper heatsinks for 3$, I'd get those. The CPU fan you bought will then blow air overtop your ram.

I do however think the fan would be your best option though if it'd work, but there is no way of really knowing whether or not if it'll fit. But it's only 20$ so it's your call.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I think Im going to get it. If it doesn't fit o well, I'll just use it for another computer I build. Im going to think it fits it will probably just be a tight fit. Do you think the CPU fan will blow a lot of air over the RAM. Any ways, do you know a tut or video that shows how to install the RAM heatsinks on RAM and on video card RAM. Thank you so much.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No I don't know a video, nor have I ever done it myself, but people seem to be having a lot of sucess with it. The air blowing over your ram won't be that significant, do you really plan on pushing your ram this hard?
James

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
No it's just I'm really paranoid about thing frying, and since I'm going to overclock the CPU which in return will overclock the RAM I want to be safe. Also if I put one of the RAM heatsinks on the video card RAM will it keep the video card cooler so I can overclock it or will it just make me able to overclock the Video cards memory. Thanks so much for your help.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Look into the bios, many higher end motherboards have features that disables the RAM overclock, so when you raise the FSB your only looking at raising the CPU and not other components. Boards such as the 650i and 680i.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I looked at those but they all have Nforce on them and Im getting and ATI card. And I want to get the the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Mobo. I dont plan on overclocking the CPU too much only a couple GHZ. And Im just wondering now if the RAM will be able to function without extra cooling fans and just the heatsinks on them at that little amount of overclocking. Anyways I'll get it and if it doesn't fit oo well atleast I will have the heatsinks. And I'm not overclocking that much. But I really want to know that if I overclock the video card if I put heatsinks on the Video cards RAM will that just keep the video cards RAM cooler or the whole card. So if I overclock the cards speed it will be cooler or that will keep the RAM cooler if I overclock the video card's RAM. Anyways, thanks so much for your help.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The ram on video cards work differently, you need to buy a VGA cooler for that. The ram on a video isn't just like a bunch of sticks. Your better off leaving it alone as removing the cooler voids the warranty on the card.
By the way a few GHz is a fair amount. Also as long as you don't push anything real hard you should be fine, keep a close eye on your memory though as people tend to ignore it on the overclock and push it's limits over the edge. I'm planning on experimenting with over clocking as well in the summer. Be sure to read lots before overclocking and to know what your doing, if you don't it's pretty easy to fry things.
James

Edited by james_8970, 03 May 2007 - 04:09 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I'm getting the E6600 and I may put it to 2.6 or 2.5. I know about the video RAM but can't you put like the heatsinks on the RAM. Some people in the reviews said they did it. Anyways, so I'll get both, I'll put the heatsinks on the RAM and put the cooler over it. I'm not worried too much about the CPU because Im getting a good cooler for it. One thing I was wondering about is the other things on the Mobo like the Northbridge and stuff. I was wondering if that stuff will fry easily if I overclock the CPU or does it need to be overclocked a lot to fry. I'm mainly worried about the RAM since Im using a different CPU cooler. Thanks for all your help. Ooo and the video card, I remember warriorscot saying that the coolers on the newer cards are good and that it should withstand a little overclocking. So if I overclock the video card, not the video card RAM, it wont fry, and if I do decide to overclock the video cards RAM, which i most likely wont, can I put the heatsinks on the video cards RAM. Also if I overclock the video cards core clock it will just make it faster but it wont overclock its RAM. Thanks.