Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You can't put these heat sinks on the ram on the video card. You'll be fine overclocking the ram, you'll have a bit of head room. Just do a little research on it maximum tempatures and watch things closely. if your only overclocking to 2.6GHz I wouldn't even bother buying any ram coolers, but thats up to you. Don't worry about the northbridge it should be fine, your not straining it much at the clocks you showed me.

In the end just read, read, read, read and read some more. I'm just introducing myself to overclocking so those questions should be addressed to someone else.

Also before you overclock research temperatures on every piece of hardware you plan on overclocking. And if your overclocking your video card, your more then likely going to be overclocking the ram on the video card, it goes hand in hand mroe or less.

James

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I may overclock morem like 2.8 - 3, so just to be safe Im going to buy the RAM coolers is only a couple extra bucks and its worth it. I may overclock the vid card but not much. Yea I will research the temps. Anyways thanks so much.

Edited by Drumbum667, 03 May 2007 - 07:15 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
no problem

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Just one more thing. Does the mobo Im getting have that lock on RAM overclocking. Anyways you have been a great help and now Im not worrying about frying my stuff.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
your questions would be better asked regarding this on a overclocking forum.
The only boards I heard of it being on are the really high end 680i boards from Evga, but again I'm not 100% it was from them. Overclocking is still a shady topic for me and till I begin experimenting with it more in the summer I really recommend you go to an overclocking forum and ask regarding motherboards, as I don't know enough on the various motherboards and the features they offer.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Okay.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
And one more thing. Okay so now the only thing Im worried about is my PSU. Im just wondering if the OCZ GameXstream has enough PCI connectors for my sound card, video card, and my wireless card. It says it only has two PCI-E connectors so I'm assuming I have to use those on the vid card and sound card. But what about the wireless card. Does it need a connectors or does it use a different one or what. Thanks.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Link to your power supply. You must remember that the PCI slots on your motherboard will usually supply enough juice to power your cards. It's either 25 or 50 watts. Your sound card and wireless card won't need any additional power from elsewhere.
James

Edit: I don't want to reread everything again, what kind of GPU do you have and are you planning on overclocking. Once again link to your power supply please.

Edited by james_8970, 06 May 2007 - 08:36 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I plan on getting the new ATI card. I may or may not overclock it not sure. Here's my PSU OCZ GameXStream PSU. So my sound card and wireless card shouldn't require any extra power except from the PCI slots. Just so your sure this is my sound card Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

Edited by Drumbum667, 07 May 2007 - 08:10 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes thats correct, the PCI slot will provide the power.

As for the PSU, you'll need to wait for me to confirm this, but it is rumoured that the HD 2900xt ($480USD) will require 1x 4pin connector and a 1x 8pin connector. That PSU only has 2x 6pin connectors. But again we'll have to wait to know for sure that this is the case, at the current time it looks as though its true because of numerous picture I have seen, but we have to wait and see to be 100%.

By the way good choice on the sound card, I have the exact same one coming in today, I got a deal :whistling:
James

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
So that means those 6 pins will be useless on the video card.

Edit: I just saw some pics and their was an 8 pin and a 6 pin.

Edited by Drumbum667, 07 May 2007 - 02:10 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There is a 4/8 pin for the CPU. Not PCI-E. I wouldn't worry about it till the card does release. Do you even plan on buying the HD 2900XT, it'll be 480$. If you plan on buying a lower end model there is nothing to be worried about. As it is at the moment, there are very few PSU that have 8pin PCI-E power cables.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Im talking about the R600. I was looking at the power connectors and their was a 6 pin connector and an 8 pin. Heres the site, just scroll down, R600 pics. I'm definitely getting ATI's high end card.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling: I already knew this, we are talking about two different things. I'm saying your PSU won't be able to handle the card because your PSU doesn't have a 2x4 connector. Also even though all the picutres that I have seen about the cards do have a 2x4pin card I'd hold on the PSU because the final products may end up not having them, we don't know yet. Everything we know about the card may be false, since there is a NDA and you'll be sued if you break it. It also depends on wether or not the GPU is 65nm or 80nm. It's rumoured that the revision in the fall will be 65nm but then there are other rumours that state that the card was delayed because of the die shrink to 65nm. I'd wait for a second, but there is nothing wrong in buying a PSU with a 2x4pin power cable as it'll be more future proof.
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
By the way, here are some more up to date pics.
http://www.fx57.net/?p=637
Nice arn't tehy.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 May 2007 - 07:02 PM.