Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just two 6 pins. The only thing is, I can only see graphics power requirements going higher so it wouldn't hurt to get the same PSU you were planning before that had the 6+2pin. The only reason why power requirements came down on CPU's was because of businesses, but they only require intergraded graphics cards. So the graphic card companies arn't receiving much pressure to date.
James

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I was going to get that one actualy. Because later on if I decide to get an ATI card and oo say, I don't know, it just happens to have an 8 pin connector Im ready for it instead of shelling out another couple hundred dollars.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Exactly what I was getting at.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
You are a smart one aren't you. :whistling:. I wish I could repay you, thanks muchos gracias for the help.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Glade I could help. :whistling:
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Is 720 watts good enough for future upgrades.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yup it'll give you lots of head room. I can only see graphics cards continuing their trend for another year, then pressure is going to increase to lower power requirements. Meaning that power supply should last you a long time to come.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
One question about Dual Channel. Is it just when you buy two sticks of RAM they can come as Dual channel. Because Im buying 3 gigs and none of the 1 gig sticks are dual channel. So it has to be two sticks that are dual channel enabled. Also the Crucial RAM Im getting was reviewed to be highly overclockable. Most said they overclocked an E6600 to 3.2, 3.3 and the RAM is doing good.

Edited by Drumbum667, 16 May 2007 - 08:20 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Every stick can go into dual channel, it's just recommend that you buy the 2 sticks that your planning to put into dual channel together in 1 package. You may have some compatibility issues, but I have my doubts as you are purchasing the exact same model across the board.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Both are from the same company. I guess Ill just get the extra gig

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sorry I don't understand.
If you havn't already bought you RAM please buy a dual channel "package" (2x1GB) and then a separate 1GB from the same company.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Thats what Im doing. Exactly what you said.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Then you won't have any issues.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Also I was thinking is it better to get the mobo Im getting or this EVGA one EVGA Mobo. Or this one EVGA Mobo. More expensive but they seem better for overclocking. Just to make sure if I get the 250 dollar one can I use DDR2 800 RAM instead of spending the extra cash on faster RAM. If the cheaper one is just as good Ill get that one. Im goingo to read the reviews. Also what is the fan for that comes with the mobo.

Edited by Drumbum667, 19 May 2007 - 06:38 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There was a revision of some kind, but I can't see any difference between them. I was looking into this a week ago. The cheaper EVGA is indeed worth it, if your willing to pay a little more. Just go with the cheaper one you won't see any difference with the more expensive one. Thats what I like about this board and why I plan on getting it, it's passive cooling so there are no annoying little fans.

Also I'm worried your going to push your RAM to hard and fry it, please be careful.

James

Edited by james_8970, 19 May 2007 - 06:56 PM.