Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Remember Im getting RAM heatsinks for extra cooling on the RAM. The RAM Im getting was reviewed to be overclocked with a Core 2 Duo E6600 up to 3.3. Im not going that high. Anyways, the mobo comes with a chipset fan. What's it for.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I can't find the link to you motherboard now......hmmmm
It'll be for the northbridge chipset I'm sure.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Well here's the mobo EVGA Mobo. Im guessing your right it must be for extra cooling.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It must go under one of the heat pipes.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I wonder if it come with any extra ocing features like the MSI one. Ill check. Anyways thanks again James. I was wondering something what's the difference between the one Im getting and this one EVGA mobo. Their the same thing. I registered on the EVGA website in a sweepstakes to win the one I just posted. It seems like the same thing except it comes with SATA cables. And that it was originally 199. I dont know could you clarify the difference.

Edited by Drumbum667, 20 May 2007 - 12:46 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes pictures are worth a million words, but unlesss I see the product specifications I don't know. To be honest there was a revision on this chipset but I can't quite put my finger on what it was, it might be an updated BIOS for the upcoming processor Penryn, otherwise I can't think what the differences might be. Which if thats the case then the extra 40$ would give you a much better upgradeable route. But then again the processors that come out at the end of the year won't work on this motherboard or anything thats out and it's this processor that'll be your next upgrade most likely. Penryn comes out in the summer to try and make this post clearer.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I think Im going to wait and get Penryn and hopefully that mobo will support it. It supports an FSB of 1333, also its only 150. like the other it was originally 199.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Penryn won't be out till the end of July at the very earliest.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Is it worth the wait.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That's up to you to decided. I'm kinda thinking about it myself, because there are going to be more price cuts on July 22, a quad core may be selling for as little as 233$, not a typo.
The newer processors will also overclock much better and newer motherboards to support it will probably support PCI 2.0 and it will support DDR3.
James

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
one last question. will the monitor im getting be able to display in 1080p. If not could you recommend a better one that isn't too expensive/ too big that I can buy two of because I really want to dual monitor. Also I was wondering if everything that Im getting has drivers for 64-bit. Im getting Vista Ultimate and I was wondering if everything has the drivers. The only one that Im not sure about is the monitor, DVD Burner, motherboard, and this card reader i-Rocks Card Reader,

Edited by Drumbum667, 24 May 2007 - 07:58 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That is impossible, what you want is 1900x1200, the prices are rediculas, they start at 450 each I believe. 1680x1050 is 30 pixels short vertically for 1080i/p. Don't get ultimate, or 64bit. Premium will be enough(you won't notice the difference between the two) and it's to early for 64bit. If you don't buy OEM you can get 32bit and 64bit in the same package, you just need to order 64bit after you receive the 32bit disc.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 May 2007 - 08:03 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Okay, so Im getting the Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, and I was going to get G.Skill RAM because it's good for overclocking, but Corsair doesnt say it supports and I was wondering if I would have a problem. Also it says that it supports RAM with 1.8v, but do you think that RAM with 2-2.1v would work too. Just because I really dont want to change the products Im getting.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Pretty good board, I'm getting the board one up from that. Ordered it 3 days ago, I really like what I'm seeing with these boards from Gigabyte.

My ram is rated at 2.1V, most motherboards have voltages that will go up to around 2.4V for overclocking, in other words yes.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 June 2007 - 07:17 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I think actually going to get one of them with Dual PCI Express even though one only runs at x4. Im going to get this one P35T-DQ6.

Edited by Drumbum667, 06 June 2007 - 08:26 PM.