Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issue on all adapters for one PC

• Please log in to reply

roscoedaisy

roscoedaisy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi! I am trying to help a friend out with a networking issue he's having and not having much luck.

He has a Dell PC running XP.
Linksys Wireless internal card
Linksys Wireless Router
Cable Modem

Connection from a 2nd PC tied directly to the router or to the modem work perfectly.

Connection from this PC either via the wireless adapter or through the built-in ethernet port both result in the same problem. No IP is picked up, no default gateway. It detects the signal on the wireless card and sends thousands of packets but receives 0 in return.

No big deal, I tie the computer directly to the wireless router via ethernet cable and the same problem. It wont pick up an IP and I cannot access the routers admin page (192.168.1.1).

A second PC works perfectly.

My friend says this PC was infected by some viruses at some point but that he had the OS reloaded. Any ideas where the setup is wrong or where there may be a virus problem? It used to work, even after the OS reload, then suddenly stopped one day.

It is all set to detect IP, DHCP, DNS automatically, all the usual suspects have been checked.

Help!

Roscoe

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
have you tried to use static IP? also make sure not Mac control filtering blocking this PC. fo rmore information visit http://www.howtonetworking.com

roscoedaisy

roscoedaisy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I tried hard-coding the IP Address and Subnet Mask to match what the working PC has with no luck. I also tried hard-coding in the Default Gateway along with that information, no luck. I also tried all 3 + the DNS info the other PC grabs with no luck.

I also verified there is no blocking set up on the router for any MAC's.