Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

How do i Know if I have 64-bit or 32-bit windows

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Basically I have an amd athalon 64 x-2 dual core 5000+ processor so i beleive the motherboard is also 64 bit. Finally i want to take advantage of full 64 bit windows. So how do i check if my windows is 32/64 bit.
I know 64 bit lets me optimize more than 4 gb of ram but what are the other advantages of 64 bit?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Right-click My Computer -> Properties should tell you if its 64bit, if it doesn't its 32-bit.

The one major issue with 64-bit XP is lack of driver support so you may find the majority of your computer bits won't work. Aside from that it is, IMO, nothing more than XP cum Windows Server 2003 - it looks like XP but uses the core of Server 2003 so it is very stable but I would argue that its fruitless going for the stability issue if your hardware is unsupported.